DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What is this?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  rncopper 
#1 ·
I am remodeling a bathroom and when I knocked out one wall, this heater duct was going up to the roof.

I have no heating vents above the floor, the duct is 1'x3". My question is: what is this? Is it an exhaust/vent for the gas furnance? If so, why is it so big? What clearance does it need around it?

I never knew it was there until I tore down the wall. I don't plan on doing anything with it; just want to know what it is.

Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to tell from the picture but it could be an oval vent for the furnace. Does it go out of the roof? 1 x 3 seems small for a vent. See where it goes under the floor.

If it is your furnace vent, 1" clearance for double wall and 6" clearance for single wall from combustables.

#5 ·
I just went and looked at where it came "from". It comes from a round "smokestack-like " ductwork from the furnance. The round portion as it rises then changes to the 12"x3" metal ductwork.

I can try and go into the attic, but that will be a chore. I have 10 ft ceilings!! <grin>

The heater has been here for years (at least 10 that I know of) and I have it serviced every year by the gas company. So, I don't think it would end in the attic. And it doesn't feel "warm" when the heat turns on, so I don't think it is run into the "attic" for heat.

#6 ·
what or where is the wall this is in? from the pic it looks like this is at the end of a hallway. If that duct is inside a wall and its 12" wide, that's a loooong way inbetween studs on either side of it. I ask because my original duct work was sheet metal between studs and ran floor to ceiling... but there were studs.

#8 ·
Funny you should ask, because I looked at it yesterday. Here is a pic. The part that is coming out of the heater itself (round metal portion) is the thing that then continues up thru the wall and changes into a 12inx3in oval shaped metal type tubing.

As you can see, the hot water heater is also attached to it, so I was assuming it must be some type of "vent". Am I correct?

And again, what type of clearance will I need when I re-framing the "vent" in the first picture?

Attachments

#10 ·
I was looking on the outside of the house from far away and I could see a "vent" type pipe coming out of the roof, so I am sure that is where it goes. Since I have never done anything with it and the house has been inspected several times in the last 10 years (once when I bought it and twice before that), I am sure it is ok.

Do you know how much clearance I will need on the side of the pipe that goes thru the wall when I frame it? It will be in a wall that has the bathroom on one side and the original wall of the original house (1902 built) on the other side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.