Weird (?) Boiler Issue - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Weird (?) boiler Issue

Just finished up some plumbing work yesterday afternoon. Turned the water on to get things back up and running, and after a few minutes, water just started gushing out of the pressure release spout of the boiler. Tried it twice just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, but I didn't think to check the pressure gauge either time.

We've owned the house for 2 months, and I know there's been one other time in that time where a few gallons have come out of the pressure release. Of course we weren't there for that one. I'm completely new to boilers, so I'm not really sure where to even start with this one. Thoughts?

Advertisement

dvaupel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Weird (?) boiler Issue

Quote:
but I didn't think to check the pressure gauge either time.
Ayuh,... If it's an Over-pressure situation, ya gotta fix the make-up water feed valve...

If it Ain't, replace the safety valve...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Weird (?) boiler Issue

if it has been a long time since the system was dropped for work the RED water feed might of opened up since being install just enough to let some stuff stop it from shutting at designed 12PSI as tagged"check the PSI number on a sticker or metal tag...city PSI is feeding free right into the system and the relief is acting at it should.... eye ball the guage as it gets to 12psi might have to remove the bonnet and clear the seat or get a new one easy cheap change out HD or LOWES.if your into the cold weather there just feed till 12psi and shut the feed water off for heat now..if you need to bleed system off no circ pump feed open and let the incoming pressure bleed the air out highest is the best....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Weird (?) boiler Issue

Ok. I was able to do a bit more checking on things this afternoon, so let me know if this lines up with the theories so far.

I turned on the main water supply, and the boiler started pressurizing. at 30PSI the valve blew. When I turned off the water, the pressure dropped to 18PSI. There's a tag on the valve that says 'set to 30PSI'.

I also tried just barely opening what I believe is the pressure reducing valve, but the same thing happened.

And this is probably a related issue...With the water supply to the boiler turned off and also the hot water turned off (doing a bit of work specifically on that), our cold water was actually coming out quite warm. Like I said, I'm new to boilers and am quite confused on what all is happening. It was working fine before I shut off the main to do work on the cold water line.

Does any of this confirm above thoughts or might it be something completely different?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Weird (?) boiler Issue

Post pics of the boiler and the valves you have been working on/with.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Weird (?) boiler Issue

on that water feed line you don't see a RED device assembly even 2 on the line after the shut off towards the boiler....the relief is doing what it should its blowing off the cold water...if you don't have the red regulator control(its all mechanical no electrical connection)then your a manual feed into it..drain the boiler down to 10-12PSI and shut the valve off.so now start the boiler and the heating of the water as it circulates the pressure will rise but should not reach that tagged 30PSI you saw the stat should satisfy before even 20psi on the guage..if you see the boier cycle off check that guage to get an idea for that piped system in your home.
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
dvaupel (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Weird (?) boiler Issue

update...I tried what biggles suggested, and so far, so good. Drained down to 11PSI, it ran for awhile without issue. Will be checking frequently over the next few days. Looks like it might just be an issue of me initially not understanding how the boiler needed to be set up.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

Weird (?) boiler Issue

well you definitly have the cleanest relief on the block
Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #9

Weird (?) boiler Issue

Alright...revisiting this one because this might be a related problem. Nothing's been overflowing when I've been running the boiler the past few days, but it's also not running enough to actually heat the house. Could this possibly be the result of lower pressure in the line? It will run for a bit and get some steam going in the pipes, but it's not putting out much heat.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Weird (?) boiler Issue

You probably have a hot water boiler, if you have a 30 PSIG relief valve. Steam would be a 15 PSIG relief valve.

You could have circ problems. Check to make sure the circ is running correctly, and that all air is out of the system.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote