Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

***weil mclain no start***

I have a 9 year old propane boiler model gv series 3, That I can't get to fire up. Here is a list of things I replaced, Started out with the igniter, changed it out and no go. Then I changed the gas valve still the same thing, no go. Then the control module, and once again no go. And last was the 24 volt transformer still nothing. What I am getting now is this. I have line in 120v to the control module, I have 120v line to transformer, I have 24 volts coming out of transformer to the control module. then I have 24 volts to the rectifier plug on top of the gas valve. the rectifier plug is a modification they made to the new gas valve to switch the AC current to DC current. There is 24v to the gas valve (Im positive). So when the boiler cycles I hear the first relay click ( igniter is glowing) then a couple seconds later the second relay clicks the gas valve opens for maybe 1 second then closes right away. WTF. then after two more cycles the control module goes into lockout. Basicaly the flame is not proven so it shuts down. Internal power vent is operating and there is air blowing out the vent outside, so no blockage there. I am at a total loss at this point, But I have a feeling it is gonna be something that is gonna be 1 2 3 to fix but I just can't think of anything else. I need help, these cold showers are killing my sex drive.

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Does this boiler have a pilot assy or does it light the burner direct ?? The valve is probably closing because no flame is sensed... If it has a pilot assy.. Check the orifice for blockage...

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Does this boiler have a pilot assy or does it light the burner direct ?? The valve is probably closing because no flame is sensed... If it has a pilot assy.. Check the orifice for blockage...
No standing pilot. It hAs an igniter.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

This is a stupid question, do you have propane in your tank? May have a lp gas regulator that is not functioning properly.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP4661 View Post
This is a stupid question, do you have propane in your tank? May have a lp gas regulator that is not functioning properly.
Not a stupid question at all, I did check and i'm getting the gas and the proper pressure to the valve. I did find the problem though, which you aint gonna believe. On the bottom of the internal power vent theres a chamber where the gas tube enters, right before the lp conversion plate there was a green back sh!t fly lodged in the hole, plugged it shut. I don't know how the fly got in there but it did. Short story long and 700 dollars later problem solved. Unbelievable. Anyway thankyou guys for taking a stab at it. Thanks..........
Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,392

FYI:

I had a Weil McLain and where the tubes from the pressure switch attach to the vent connector box the ports that the tubes attach to got plugged with sulfur/ash (byproduct of combustion). Had to clear them with a tiny drill bit.

Happens to furnaces also.

Last edited by yuri; 08-27-2009 at 12:46 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
No standing pilot. It hAs an igniter.
He didn't say standing pilot..... He asked if it was a pilot assy

newtech is offline   Reply With Quote