Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

Weil McLain - EG/PEG-45 Not firing up

Hi everyone,

New here just trying to get some advice. I converted from Oil to Natural gas hear two years ago. Went with the local Electric Company since they had no interest on my bill for 2 years with it. They installed the Weil McLain EG/PEG 45 model furnace.

It worked fine the first year. I shut it all down for the summer as I always do. I am pretty anal with this stuff. I let water out every two weeks until anything rust colored is gone. The water level is always looked at.

This season I filled it back up and turned it on this past weekend because it was cold. Everything turned on without a hitch. We had a few warm days but yesterday it got really cold. I turned the temperature up but nothing happened.

I checked the furnace. Pilot light is on. I shut it off and turned it back on to make sure. Water levels are good. It is getting power. I called PSE&G but the soonest appointment they gave me was 10 days from now. This thing is only 18 months old. I don't feel I should be having an issue with it firing up.

I am pretty handy with this stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on things I could check on. What can I short out on the furnace to make it turn on without the thermostat for example, so I can rule that out. Can I try changing a fuse? Like I mentioned, the pilot is on but it makes not the slightest noise to say there is an indication that I am trying to turn it on.

SirWise23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

remove the stat and jump R to W nothing..? if you have a auto flue damper that is the first thing to move on a call for heat..did it travel the full open and make the burner proof switch to call the burner on. low limit switch is open remove the cover.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

It jumped the cables and nothing happened. I tried jumping them at the furnace as well in case something happened to the cable along the way and nothing happened either.

The flu didn't budge at all. I know the furnace has power because I tried draining water and the low water level warning light turned on.

System is only a year and a half old. I can't imagine what would be defective on it, like I said, it just turned on Saturday.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

UPDATE: I popped the cover off the flue and jumped the orange and red cables (It looked red at least). The furnace started instantly as soon as I jumped those cables.

Not sure where that leaves me though. Is the issue the flue itself or the furnace not telling it to move? Not sure how to test further.