Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Share |
Question

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

I need some help. Before i shell out $ to get someone in to do something, I'm thinking I can do this on my own. I have a WM8k. It's 10 years old and running fine. However, recently it started to make a noise when it fires up for heat. It will make this loud humming sound and then it goes down when the heat goes down or when it feels the temperature reaches where it suppose to be. This is louder than the normal hum.

The noise is coming from this drum looking thing that spins. It looks like it just needs to be tighten really. Here's the video and you can hear it drumming up. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_4e...l4bEVCUWs/edit)

So, can I just tighten it up? I looked at the schematics and it looks like the part that spins is part of one bigger part but I don't see how I need to replace the whole part. But again that's why I'm asking.

Any advice?

eguie921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

If it is the fan that starts when the thermostat first calls for heat, it is the induced draft fan. It pulls pressure on the pressure switch. Typically housing and fan wheel are plastic. It could be loose and therefore not balanced if you see something that makes you think that. It usually is a sign that unit is failing and won't last much longer. Blade parts could be laying in bottom of housing.

If you can provide the model # of that unit also, techs may be better at providing advice. The entire unit is usually replaced because it's easier and individual parts are not as readily available to the DIYer.

Maybe look here to start (slow loading catalog):
http://www.fasco.com/documents/pgs051-059.pdf

If you spot your furnace, identify your id fan Fasco Model and Google for suppliers. Didn't see Carrier specifically listed.

If you take your unit apart and examine for damage (the blades dry up and fall off on the wheel), sometimes you can get just a new wheel for under $20.

Last edited by diyorpay; 01-17-2013 at 09:51 PM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Cool

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

diyorpay, thanks for the assist.

Wow, I was hoping for someone to say, "oh yeah that's this part you can just replace it yourself." Shows how much I know.

I will get the model # of the unit. I was hoping to avoid replacing the whole unit. But if i have to I have to.

I'll take a look. I don't know if i'm going to take the unit apart. I think I would leave that up to someone that really knows what they are doing.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguie921 View Post
diyorpay, thanks for the assist.

Wow, I was hoping for someone to say, "oh yeah that's this part you can just replace it yourself." Shows how much I know.

I will get the model # of the unit. I was hoping to avoid replacing the whole unit. But if i have to I have to.

I'll take a look. I don't know if i'm going to take the unit apart. I think I would leave that up to someone that really knows what they are doing.
If it is the inducer motor then replacing them really isn't super hard. And they don't sell parts at all, you get the whole housing, fan blade & motor as one peice. Usually they're held in by 4 screws and most just have a rubber coupling with a screw down clamp to attatch to the flue. Most come with a gasket you stick over ther hole, stick the round end in the rubber boot, tighten the clamp, re-screw it in and the power is usually just a plastic plug.

But I order parts for an HVAC service company and the only way we can get most of those is in one piece.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Roofmaster

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

Remember when you were young and you attached baseball cards to your bikes fender braces with clothes pins to make the sound of an engine? You went clack a clack a clack (real fast) down the road?

Im thinking thats what you have. Your inducer motor sucked in a leaf, or a piece of cellophane and the fan blades are hitting it as they turn.

If you are mechanically inclined, it is childs play to remove the inducer motor. Turn off the power, take digital photos, and mark wires. Remove the PVC outgoing flue pipe, usually 3 inch. cut it and reconnect it with a Rubber Fernco coupling for the next time. If you find that you need a new inducer, check out Pex Supply. They have a bunch of them. There will be a drain tube underneath the blower housing, dont for get that.

WHile you are at it, clean out the box that the inducer was attached to well, the trap, and all lines. Put bleach in the trap and let sit a while. Flush trap several times. You will be surprised. Bugs dirt etc.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
how

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

I think you will find that the whole inducer assy is rubber mounted on three points. These mounts begin to sag over time and allow the spinning fan cage to start touching the inside of the ID assy.
I have had some success in readjusting the holding mounts to bring the fancage back to it's original set up position.
To test this theory, see if manually pressing on any of those ID assy mounts, eliminates that clattering sound.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-18-2013), jagans (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

WeatherMaker 8000 Help

Ok I think I can do that. Not this weekend but the following. I'll check out some of your recommendations. What's the worst i can do. I will have to replace the whole thing. LOL

I'll let you guys know.

Tags
weathermaker 8000