Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

WBV/WV Peerless Steam Boiler is Thirsty!

Once daily this boiler -- with no apparent leaks -- needs added water. It is located in a 1729 historic house with 2000 square feet. It is not insulated.

Is the only alternative adding an automatic water feeder? There are thoughts of extending the piping to the second floor now heated with electric baseboards.
We'd be tapping off the steam boiler using FHW and PEX.

Comments?

colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden View Post
Once daily this boiler -- with no apparent leaks -- needs added water. It is located in a 1729 historic house with 2000 square feet. It is not insulated.

Is the only alternative adding an automatic water feeder? There are thoughts of extending the piping to the second floor now heated with electric baseboards.
We'd be tapping off the steam boiler using FHW and PEX.

Comments?

Could have a leak inside the boiler that allows the water to go into the combustion chamber, and be evaporated when the burner is on.

Better have someone that knows how to do hot water off a steam boiler. or you'll have lots of problems.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Could have a leak inside the boiler that allows the water to go into the combustion chamber, and be evaporated when the burner is on.

Better have someone that knows how to do hot water off a steam boiler. or you'll have lots of problems.
The same fellow who will do the hot water extension took a look at the boiler and saw no leaks. But then again, if the leak is INSIDE the boiler, he wouldn't see it I suppose. How does one check to see "a leak inside the boiler that allows the water to go into the combustion chamber, and be evaporated when the burner is on"??
Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

You open the sight door, and look in the chamber. And look for water or water stains,, and then you wait until it fores, and see if it leaks while its hot.

Some only leak at cooler temps, say 160 and lower, others only when they are hot, say 200 plus.

For the hot water loop. Is he going to run the line directly from the boiler, or use a steam heat exchanger?

Has he checked if the boiler can handle the additional load. if the boiler is too small. it will heat the hot water areas. But not be able to heat the steam areas.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
For the hot water loop. Is he going to run the line directly from the boiler, or use a steam heat exchanger?

Has he checked if the boiler can handle the additional load. if the boiler is too small. it will heat the hot water areas. But not be able to heat the steam areas.
I have to ask if one is better than the other. Should he run the line directly from the boiler or use a steam heat exchanger? I am taking a semi-literate guess, but I believe he intends to run the line.

The boiler, IMO, should be able to handle the extra load especially if I tighten up the house.

By the way, if we see a small leak following your initial advice is it fixable or ???
Old 11-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

You can replace sections of cast iron boilers that leak/are cracked. But you would also want to determine why it cracked.

A heat exchanger is better. Specially if your using pex, which isn't going to take the higher temp of the water when the boiler is making steam. And pex would be prong to clogging from the boiler dirt. Its not as clean of a water as with a hot water boiler.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
You can replace sections of cast iron boilers that leak/are cracked. But you would also want to determine why it cracked.

A heat exchanger is better. Specially if your using pex, which isn't going to take the higher temp of the water when the boiler is making steam. And pex would be prong to clogging from the boiler dirt. Its not as clean of a water as with a hot water boiler.
That's awesome info. Wish you were in MA instead of PA. You'd have the job if you wanted it. In any event, I will be using your info to choose who does the job and how it's done.

BTW, there are two boilers with the very same issue in this 2-family house; both need water injections daily. Could it be because the house was "winterized"? I have no idea.

Hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Sounds like you could have a few steam vents that are not closing when they should.

You may want to go around to all the rads when eh boilers are making steam. And see if any are not closing. And also check for vents in the main line. And see if any of them are not closing.

Is this a single or 2 pipe steam system. You could have a restricting return line. And its possible that a return line on both boilers could be restricting. Since the piping will be the same age.

Always possible that they are piped incorrectly also. And water is pushing out the condensate return line/piping. You won't see any water from that. But you will add water often. And then one day suddenly. the boiler will be flooded. Because the return leg/piping finally is completely full. And all the water flooded into the boiler.

Can you post pics of the piping at the boilers.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #9

I'll post the pics once I can get them alot smaller . "Your file of 1.89 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 100.0 KB for this filetype."
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

One pic is attached now and it's just under 100 KB. If that is not sufficient, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
WBV/WV Peerless Steam Boiler is Thirsty!-sam_0027-2-.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Need to be able to see the return/condensate piping. it should be at the back of the boiler.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #12

Hi,

Can you see the return/condensate piping? (The other unit is set up the same.)
Attached Thumbnails
WBV/WV Peerless Steam Boiler is Thirsty!-peerless_back-640x361-.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Can you do a bit more panoramic shot. So that more of the piping can be seen in the pic.

I can't tell if you have a hartford loop on it or not from those pics.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #14

This picture is from the front, but the same pipes that are visible from the back can be seen here as well. I'm not sure there is a Hartford loop.

I cannot post the pic for some reason so I have it posted elsewhere:

http://checksoftware.com/peerless.jpg

Sorry for the scrolling you'll find yourself doing. It is a huge pic.

Last edited by colden; 11-26-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: to add a pic
Old 11-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Stand back from the boiler. And take a pic so that all or most of the piping is in the pic. And do the same for the piping i n the back of the boiler. There is a specific manor in how the piping must be done.

Take multiple pics if need be. Since I'm not there. i can't walk around the boiler to look at the piping. To see how everything is piped.

Tags
wbv/wv peerless