Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water on Windows-High Humidity

The humitity in my house is running around 50%. I have a Timber frame constructed home with SIP panels on roof and sides. I heat with hot water under the floor from a outside wood burner. My air exchanger is run manually, but when run does not have much of a effect on my humidity level. I recently installed a Dessicant dehumidifier. The air coming out of the dehumidifer is at 20 to 25%. After running it for 24 hours over the last two days (12 hrs. per/day) the level dropped to about 48%. I just cannot make much of a difference. If I could get my humidity to around 25% like other people that have houses in this area (Minnesota) I beleive the water would go away? Why am I so wet? I wipe the windows off several times aday. The south facing windows seem to dry up after the sun hits them.

JOE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mechanical Dehumidifier maybe. They make them for ac air handlers.

Last edited by hvaclover; 01-13-2009 at 02:41 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,760

Is it a HRV or an ERV. Is it clean/cells/filters/intake and exhaust hoods clean/ fan working properly?
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The dehumidifier that I am using is capable of removing 4-5 pounds per hour. I installed ducting for it. After running it for 10 hours the humidity went from 52 to 45%. After turning it off overnight the humidity jumped back up to 52% (in 7 hours). My HRV seems to be in working order.

Where is the humidity coming from? In homes with forced air furnaces most people have to add water with a humdifier. Why do I have the opposite problem?
JOE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

How new is the home is it still drying out? Also is your under the floor heat in cement or is it a wood floor? If wood are you on a crawl space or basement?
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
ICF built home

Rewards Points: 75

How new and how tightly constructed is your home? How much square footage? You mention radiant floor heat and an HRV, is the HRV tied into ducting that delivers air to the entire house along with AC air in the summer?

I am not familer with desicant dehumidifers but a quick google search leads me to believe they are more applicable in low humidity situations.

If your house is tightly sealed it will retain the moisture from all the usual sources, showers/cooking/etc.

As said in previous post you may need to step up to a mechanical dehimidifer to get the results you want. Most likely a whole house version tied into your air handling system. This would have the muscle needed to pull the moisture out.

Here is one link to whole house version:

http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?z...tegory=dehumid
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,760

Check the HRV and make sure it is not stuck on defrost. Useless then.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote