DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water Source Heat Pump installation

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I am installing a small heat pump to supplement my residential oil forced air system. The heat pump is a Climatemaster model GCV018BGC30CFTS. It is typically used in commerical applications but I have it up and running using a single stage heat pump t-stat. I will eventually direct the heat into my current duct work.

http://www.climatemaster.com/index/comm_gc_features

I would like to install a HP t-stat that first calls on the HP to provide heat. If the HP cannot keep up, it then calls on the auxiliary heat (my oil forced air furnace) and shuts down the HP. The heat pump will only be used for heating. My current t-stat is conventional and is using a simple 2-wire conductor that goes to a Honeywell controller (model# R8184) on the oil furnace.

I am considering a Hunter 2-stage Programmable Heat Pump Thermostat Model #44760.
http://www.medwing.com/ssi/pdf/hunter/44760-Owners-Manual.pdf

My questions...Does anyone see anything wrong so far? I am puzzled as to how to wire the thermostat with the heat pump and oil furnace. I am paricularly confused about the wiring for the W2 terminal(s). The t-stat has 9 terminals: R, Y1, W2, E, O, B, G, L and C. The ClimateMaster HP also has 9 terminals: R, Y, W, O, G, C, AL1, AL2, A.

I think R to R (24Vac Hot), Y1 to Y (compressor), W2 to ? (Aux Heat), O to O (reversing valve), G to G (fan), C to C (24 Vac common), L to AL1 (Fault LED).

Does the W2 conductor from the Tstat go directly to the oil furnace? Do I need a second conductor to the oil furnace for power?

Bst Rgds,

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats not a dual fuel thermostat as far as I know.
So you either need to get a dual fuel thermostat instead.
Or, get a dual fuel kit to use that stat.

#4 ·
Yes, I did run across a fuel kit by Bill Porter. It seemed like an easy solution but was not programmable. As far as a dual stat, most seem to have an outside temperature sensor to switch from the HP to the oil furnace. I am not sure how this works with a water source heat pump. A reccomendation for a kit or stat would be helpul. In either case, I would like to have the stat programmable.

Joe

#5 ·
Any of the Honeywell Vision pro thermostats will work well.
Use the outdoor sensor. Just set it to switch to the furnace, when the outdoor temp is low enough that the house's heat loss is more then the heat pumps heat output.

Your water source may not drop its capacity off like an air to air. But your house still looses more heat at lower temps. So just determine your homes heat loss, and your heat pumps out put at your wells water temp.

#6 ·
I appreciate your help. I read through the Honeywell VisionPro manual and understand how this stat switches from HP to oil using outside air temp. The problem I have may be unique. I picked up a relatively small heat pump that probably has no chance of heating my house to 70 F if the outside temperature gets into the 50's. If I use this stat, my heatpump will never kick on.

My objective with buying this heat pump was to reduce my oil consumption by 10 or 20%. Is there a way to run the hp as primary and the oil furnace as auxilary and only have the auxilary kick on when the hp cannot maintain the set temperature?

Bst Rgds,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.