Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Water from Range Hood

Hi All,
I live in Alaska and I'm having a problem with my range hood. It's one of those combination Microwave/range hood things. Two years ago we noticed that when we ran the vent fan in the winter, we had water running out through the hood. I took the thing down and made sure that the inside was not blocked or the flap was not stuck. All looks good. Obviously it gets really cold here and we run a room humidifier. We've never used the hood much, but it's gotten to be a big problem. My wife tells me that it repeated the performance the other day and it's been in the mid-50's. So maybe temperature is not the whole problem, its been really humid though. The light bulb in the hood is not functioning now (socket is getting no power) and I'm a little concerned about the microwave itself.
The kitchen is on the second floor and is not close to any exterior walls. (Zero Lot Line House) The house is only 12 years old. We generally have one window cracked a little in the winter and wide open in the summer. Any suggestions?

DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Water from Range Hood

Improperly installed vent, along with allowing the duct work to condensate, if not insulated.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Smile

Water from Range Hood

Thanks for the reply. I went up and looked again, you guessed it. No Insulation! Doh! The 18 year olds that slapped my house together did insulate the bathroom vent ducts, but not the range hood. For some reason they also put it in on an angle when there was plent of room straight above it. I haven't done the math, but it looks to me like that added about 2-3 feet to the length of the duct. In an attic that probably gets well below freezing for a lot of the winter that does not make sense. By the way, that's not a slam at eighteen year olds, but few of them can build a house by themselves without someone to supervise, but hey labor is expensive in Alaska. I don't want anyone to think I'm bitter:-) The builder had to file restraining orders on some of my neighbors. I just had to offer something to make you laugh. I really do appreciate your reply.
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote