DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water in the pressure switch

837 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  yuri 
#1 ·
Just returned from a no heat call on a 20 yr old York HE gas forced air.
3 red flashes indicated open pressure switch. After investigation I found it to be full of water. I assume this is from a blockage in the condensate drains.
I ran some bleach back down the line starting at the exhaust termination and it did run all the way thru to the pump. Installed a new pressure switch and appears to be working normally.

Never run across one full of water. Anything else I should be looking at?

#8 ·
Nobody does that so I am not sure what he is talking about. We do that for AC drain lines not venting. I would remove and flush the trap and check any hoses to it for kinks or sludge in them and where they attach. Most of the time it is a dirty trap.

#2 ·
Was it near the top of the unit or closer to the bottom? I can see condensate backing up, but the height of the unit cabinet should be impressive.

I've found the ports where the drain tube connects to the heat exchanger can get plugged too. Especially the one on the inducer blower housing, if there is one.

Cheers!

#6 ·
It is not a good effective idea to pour water in from the outside. Will fill up the inducer and overload it. Won't hurt anything as it is plastic. Eventually leaks into the collector box and drains out or if it has a drain which most inducers don't.

Check the intake pipe for partial obstruction. Can increase the velocity of the fumes going into the inducer and carryover water with them into the inducer. Lennox G26 is known for that.

#7 ·
We poured in about a qrt, 1 cup at a time each time waiting until it drained into the condensate pump before proceeding. At first the bleach was just trickeling in, by the last cup it was a steady stream. So I think it did rinse out some build up. The same dealer recommended doing this once or twice per year. What do you think?

There where no blockages on the intake or exhaust lines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.