Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Water pipe

Hello,

I have a weathermaster dx carrier furnace and I have noticed that my pipe has come out of the hole that brings water out. I don't know what the water comes out for, a heating guy came over and said it was the humidifier, but I shut off the water of the humidifier so there shouldn't be any water coming through there. Anyways, when I don't have the pipe in, the heater pilot comes on but the other flames don't come on. When I put the pipe in the heater works fine with leakage because the hole that is there has been badly ruined. My question is what kind of solution should I use to hold the pipe in one place and what kind of pipe should I use? Currently I'm using a clear pipe (sorry I don't know the proper name for it) that goes straight to a bucket to take water out. Please let me know as I have this only temporarily fixed. Thanks.

nirav34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Water pipe

Post some pics of it. The water is condensate that has to drain from the furnace.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #3

Water pipe

This is not my heater, but exactly the same. The black pipe that is next to the motor. That is the one, highlighted in black.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vdg27d.png
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Water pipe

The opening where you put the pipe is rotten and worn out, I need something so the pipe will hold comfortably without dripping. Why would the heater not work if the pipe wasn't in there? Are there sensors in there that don't ignite the heater when it's not in?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Water pipe

Cannot see exactly what you mean. I am sure that the pipe attaches to whats called the collector box and is NOT repairable. Need a new collector box. If it is not sealed properly the pressure switch will shut off the burner. Those old Carriers are sometimes a money $$ pit to repair. Heat exchangers are failing from age etc and I would invest my $$ in a new unit. Gov't rebates help.

Last edited by yuri; 12-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Water pipe

Without that hose on. There is not enough pressure to keep the switch closed. It is a safety switch. Without that hose on, you can get CO from the exhaust.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #7

Water pipe

My heater just went out again. The hole is sucking air in but also taking water out when I turn it off. When I tried to block that hole with something it started back up. But now its not working again. What do you think that hole is for?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Water pipe

That one goes to condesate trap, but I don't have that so that might be the problem. Is it fairly safe to block that hole for a while and than let the heat run and than unblock it? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Water pipe

The water HAS to drain out at the SAME time as the furnace runs. If not it builds up in the heat exchanger and the furnace pressure switch shuts it down. You can create an unsafe condition by blocking it and draining it manually. Can affect the draft thru the heat exchanger and you will get flame rollout and a possible fire.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #10

Water pipe

So do you think this is the problem or is it the little round box at the bottom of the pilot? Because the technician said it was the pilot that went bad and he was going to replace it. Should I tell him to put a condesate trap while he's at it? How much is the pilot and condesate trap? Please let me know Thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Water pipe

The hole/worn out port is the problem. And you can't block it.
The pilot isn't the problem.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #12

Water pipe

There are two pipes going to the condesate trap, one is directly below the motor and the other (sucking air one) is to the side. Now, if I get a exact pipe like that without the condesate trap, will I be ok? Basically, how do I fix this problem at home, without technician since, its getting very cold in here. I live in Chicago, and its getting freezing. Please let me know. I got electric heaters going on right now, it sux. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #13

Water pipe

Is it fairly easy to hook up the condesate trap with those two pipe? I mean what do you have to do, just hook um up to the slot and that's it right? But where would I possibly get this part? Any resources you can share would be helpful. I thank you for putting in the effort to respond to my question. I really apperciate it.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #14

Water pipe

No offense, but I think if you look at post #5, you will see your answer.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Water pipe

You need to replace the worn out part.