Water Logged Air Line. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Water logged air line.

I have a 12 year old Carrier weathermaster 9200. It has been a good unit. I have it installe din the crawl space with insulated flexible duct.

To make a long story short, my duct work is wet. Soem more than others. Some so bad the adjacent sub floor to the register is getting wet.

Unit seems to cool ok. My electric bill has gone up alot in the last two months but that may be due to hotter temps than normal.

I have a condensate pump that seems to be working. It pumps water up about 3 feet then latterally about 10 feet out a crawl space vent. Is this ok?

I appreciate any help!

Also, how long do you think a unit should last before it is replaced? Am I living on borrowed time since mine is 12 years old? It has propane heat.

Thanks!

Advertisement

stryped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Water logged air line.

Should have several more years left on it.

Is the duct work wet inside. or is it only the registers and sub floor.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

Water logged air line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Should have several more years left on it.

Is the duct work wet inside. or is it only the registers and sub floor.
both. AT som points Icn poke a hole in the insulation and water comes out.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Water logged air line.

Did you run the fan continuous this winter? If so. The moisture in the air may have condensed in the cold ducts.

Check for air leaks i n your duct work. On the supply duct. Not all leaks, leak air out, some pull air in, by a siphon effect.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Master HVAC Technician

Rewards Points: 10

Water logged air line.

when it's running oin a humid day, do your registers begint to sweat? Condensation may be forming and running back into the vents from the floor registers.
Also check the supply duct where it exits the unit to see if there is alot of water there. If so, the problem may be excessive velocity pulling water off of the coil. Is this a new problem? Also is this a 90%+ (condensing) furnace? If so, the secondary heat exchanger may be getting resticted with dirt, etc. This can cause high static pressures and incresed velocity.
Rusty999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Water logged air line.

1.if its in a crawl space is the duct work insulated?
2.is condensate drain clear?
3.is the filter and coil clean?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #7

Water logged air line.

Upon inspection the inside of the vents are dry. It is the insulated covering on the outside of the insulated duct that is full of water. Some more than others. The metal register boxes that attach to the sub floor sweat. But nothing inside the house is sweating. Is this sweating causing my sub floor to be wet?

Condensat line seems clear. There is an air leak at the flange of the unit that the large supply insulated duct attaches to. I can feel cold air with my hand.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Water logged air line.

Could be that the register box sweating is allowing water to be soaked up by the insulation. If the boxes are sweating on their outside also.

Are they insulated on the outside, or just bare metal.

Next. Are the register boxes sealed to the floor. If not. Crawlspace air can be drawn along with the conditioned air. And cause some of what you have happening.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #9

Water logged air line.

I think what you are saying is what is happening. My metal floor boxes are sweating greatly. They are attached to the subfloor. I re installed new flexible duct a few days ago to one box that goes to a bathroom. Already today I noticed the tip od the insulation on the end of the flexible duct that attaches to this metal box is wet.

I am not sure what you mean by the boxes being sealed. They look just like regular metal floor boxes. On one I can feel a small leak where it attaches to the subfloor.

WOuld it help/hurt to wrap these boxes with fiberglass insulation I have layign around as well as the surounding floor?

Also, I took the cover off and the condensate is not pluged and seems to be draining. I noticed there was alot of rust on the evaporator tubes. ALot. Is this unit on borrowed time?

I really appreciate it!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Water logged air line.

Not uncommon for the evap coil to have rust on it. from the sheet plates.

By sealing the boxes. I mean to caulk them to the floor, so no air can blow back down around them to your basement/crawlspace. The cold air can blow between the gap of the box and the hole in your floor. Causing the area around the box to become very cold. And sweat.

I'd seal the boxes to the floor, and then insulate the boxes. Use an insulation with a vapor barrier though.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #11

Water logged air line.

problem is, these boxes are under the vanity it my two bathrooms. and the third is under the babinet in the kitchen. I have no way to get a caulking cun in that recess if that makes sense.

So I should use fiberglass insulation with a vapor barrier around the metal duct? How do I attach it and where does the vapor barrier go? I have some unfaced r 30 I was just going to wrap around the metal box. WOuld this work?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Water logged air line.

Often you can caulk the box from the basement.

Vapor barrier belongs on the outside of the insulation. Box, insulation vapor barrier, in that order.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #13

Water logged air line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Often you can caulk the box from the basement.

Vapor barrier belongs on the outside of the insulation. Box, insulation vapor barrier, in that order.
SO just regular r-13 faced would work? How do I attach it to the box? By the way thi sis a crawlspace if that makes a difference.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Water logged air line.

Staple the flap to the floor(ceiling of the crawlspace) wrap it around the box. And tape the seam with silver tape, or mastic tape. Can also use 3M spray glue to hold it tighter tot he box if you want.

Your crawlspace is probably more humid then a basement, so it makes it more important to do this.

Advertisement