Water Leaks From Ductwork? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Leaks from Ductwork?

I just joined the site yesterday and posted about issues I had been having with smells coming from my furnace in my new home. This morning I woke up and went downstairs to find puddles of water in the basement. After searching for a bit I realized the water was coming from the ductwork that connects right into the furnace. It was a pretty significant amount of water. I called the contractor for our home and he told me to call the heating/cooling installer. Called the heating/cooling installer who said "it must be the cold air return meeting with the warmer air and causing condensation" he said we need to close off the cold air return at least part way and that would fix it. He also said they wouldn't be able to come look at the problem because they are based too far from here (1 hour and 5 minutes). He told me I could change the return air setting just as well as he could. I was obviously less than thrilled with this response.

I changed the return air setting, but I don't think that is the only problem. This is a large amount of water and it actually happened once before when it wasn't even cold (when I assume there shouldn't be as much condensation). I have a different heating/cooling company coming out tomorrow, but I wanted to check with you guys to see if you have any ideas. What could be causing a significant amount of water coming from the ductwork that directly connects to the furnace unit in the basement? Could that also be tied to the smell (dusty, and damp smell) coming from all the registers in our home?

I don't know much at all about HVAC, so I wanted to get some insight from people who know more. Thanks for the thoughts in advance!

Advertisement

02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,604

alot of times pictures help us help you...could you get pictures of duct work where leak is occuring..and pics of the furnace in general..ben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I've come across this three different times. Two times it was someone either accidentally or intentionally pouring water down a heating vent. They were both characterized by it happening during different seasons, and thus different temperatures and heating/cooling requirements that didn't jive with temperature differentials causing condensation. The third time was during the summer, with the AC running. The customer's kids would leave the basement door open with the AC cranked, with the result being condensating duct work.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

If its a condensing furnace, check if any of the drain lines are not connected right.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
bob22 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #5

Just a question. You say duct work?

Could it be flue pipe that you are calling ductwork?
oncall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Had the experts come today and check it out.. turns out it wasn't a heating/cooling issue (I'm glad) it was the bath overflow in the bathroom (the plumbing line wasn't connected properly).. very strange and tough to figure out.. took a while. When the bath overflow took in water it went directly into basement and ran down the side of the ductwork (stayed on the outside). Having a plumber come Monday to connect the line properly. Wouldn't have guessed that, but glad it wasn't worse.
02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Thanks for letting is know the outcome! Too many posters just post and run once they've figured out the problem without posting what the solution was. This helps people who are searching the forum, as well as us regulars and pros add to our knowledge bank. Again, thanks!

Advertisement

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote