Water Leaking From Boiler.. - HVAC - Page 4 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloscda

The pipe coming out the side of the boiler that was said to look like a missile.
Duplicate those connections exactly?
If you mean the pressure relief than keep what have on the boiler the same just replace the broken stuff. I sent you a simple drawing of how the valves you shoud have should be run. You dont have a pressure reducing vale. Get one and put it in. Then get a bladder tank put that any where you want. I gave a sugestion. If you want to put it somewhere. Easy that is your choice. You should put a backflow on it follw the diagram i sent you and draw it out on paper to make it easy. Good luck

Do your self a big faver by ball valves for isolation it prevents headaches like the one you have now

Advertisement

ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 93
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Thank you for the sketch!

Maybe you can figure this mystery out? Now I drained out over 5gallons over water yesterday around 2pm. Kept checking threw out the rest of the day ti'll like 3 in the morning and the gauge stayed at 10.

Now I check it this morning around 9 and guess what, the gauge is at 30? WTH!!

I think I might have a ghost that keeps feeding water back into the boiler??
Carloscda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #48
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,438
Rewards Points: 4,522
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


When you drain just 5 gallons of water from the boiler.
You are not helping the boiler.

The expansion tank must be drained completely. Not the boiler.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloscda
Thank you for the sketch!

Maybe you can figure this mystery out? Now I drained out over 5gallons over water yesterday around 2pm. Kept checking threw out the rest of the day ti'll like 3 in the morning and the gauge stayed at 10.

Now I check it this morning around 9 and guess what, the gauge is at 30? WTH!!

I think I might have a ghost that keeps feeding water back into the boiler??
Well you put in water that was cold and probally to much., as the water got hotter it exspanded. Shut off the water feed to the boiler. Take out the bolt/pipe plug on the side of the expansion tank. You might also have tho drain out entire system above the expansion tank. The put a ball or hand valve on a pipe nipple so you can drain of the tank whenever you need . You need to put a ball on the feed to the boiler so you know its off. Get rid of the hand valve, i hate hand valves and it is personal preference. Oh by the way relieve the pressur in the system

If you empty the system. Leave the pipe plug of tank until water comes out of it, shut water off and put prerable a valve in it's spot.

This is why you need ball valve on every thing. On the return to the circ pump. Top and bottom. On the feed coming out of the boiler or two on every rad circuit in case some thing happens to the circuit.

Don't forget to relieve the pressure.

Benethere is right.

Read all the posts especially abot the feed.............? Is it leaking.

Last edited by ianc435; 11-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 93
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


"Well you put in water that was cold and probally to much., as the water got hotter it exspanded."

The heat was off, the boiler is off, the gas to the boiler is off...
I didn't feed water into the system.
Carloscda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloscda
"Well you put in water that was cold and probally to much., as the water got hotter it exspanded."

The heat was off, the boiler is off, the gas to the boiler is off...
I didn't feed water into the system.
Well i did mention shutting off city water to the house since the water pres is 60, higher than boiler pressure.
Relif setting should be thirty. Prv is definatly lower read the tag. So think about it where is the pressure coming from, maybe city water because the valve is leaking? Check it out. You should replace it with a ball type.

Shut off water tonight before you tuck yourself in. And in the morn check it. Dont forget to relieve water pressure in the house.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by ianc435; 11-20-2010 at 07:23 AM.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 93
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Thanks again for the help!!

A little update.. I now know I didn't totally drain the system because it took about an 1hr to totally drain it before I could start working.

I was unable to get 1" ball valves for the bigger pipes (depot sold out) and I didn't feel like traveling to another location. Anyway changed the connections from the boiler to PRV & changed the manual feed valve with a ball valve. And guess what, no refill past 30lbs or leaking! So it was that feeder valve all along!

Last edited by Carloscda; 11-24-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Carloscda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloscda
Thanks again for the help!!

A little update.. I now know I didn't totally drain the system because it took about an 1hr to totally drain it before I could start working.

I was unable to get 1" ball valves for the bigger pipes (depot sold out) and I didn't feel like traveling to another location. Anyway changed the connections from the boiler to PRV & changed the manual feed valve with a ball valve. And guess what, no refill past 30lbs or leaking! So it was that feeder valve all along!
When you drain the system. If yo have rads valves or remove at the top of the system to break the. You still need to put a prv in. You can loose water through 'sweating' from the boiler. this can lead to low water in the system. I glad you solved the riddle of the ghostly water fill.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #54
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,438
Rewards Points: 4,522
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc435 View Post
When you drain the system. If yo have rads valves or remove at the top of the system to break the. You still need to put a prv in. You can loose water through 'sweating' from the boiler. this can lead to low water in the system. I glad you solved the riddle of the ghostly water fill.
Technically. When a boiler is equipment with an auto fill valve/PRV. The manual valve is suppose to be shut off. So that if a pipe breaks. The house isn't flooded, while no one is awake, or not at home.

With a bladder tank. Should have no problem losing water, unless the system has a leak.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

Technically. When a boiler is equipment with an auto fill valve/PRV. The manual valve is suppose to be shut off. So that if a pipe breaks. The house isn't flooded, while no one is awake, or not at home.

With a bladder tank. Should have no problem losing water, unless the system has a leak.
Well he doesn't appear to have a low water cut off on his boiler does he? I will take water damage over a fire or boiler bomb. Any day.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #56
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,438
Rewards Points: 4,522
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc435 View Post
Well he doesn't appear to have a low water cut off on his boiler does he? I will take water damage over a fire or boiler bomb. Any day.

A boiler that is leaking water while hot, and has fresh cold water added to it can crack from that fresh cold water.

If the system has a leak, and the boiler has no water in it. It can't be a bomb, since it would need water to build pressure to explode. And since its leaking, its not going to explode because it can't build pressure.

The leak would have to be at a point that caused the boiler to lose all or virtually all of its water to cause a fire.

Automatic water feeds/PRV valves are not a safety device for any boiler. And hopefully aren't being sold as one. And giving customers a false sense of security.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #57
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

A boiler that is leaking water while hot, and has fresh cold water added to it can crack from that fresh cold water.

If the system has a leak, and the boiler has no water in it. It can't be a bomb, since it would need water to build pressure to explode. And since its leaking, its not going to explode because it can't build pressure.

The leak would have to be at a point that caused the boiler to lose all or virtually all of its water to cause a fire.

Automatic water feeds/PRV valves are not a safety device for any boiler. And hopefully aren't being sold as one. And giving customers a false sense of security.
Point taken and yeah your right. Lots of debate about this topic.

One question for you. My circs come on if honeywell controllerbtrips. I need new tips I know why it's not lighting . But the circs coming on bothers me. ever come across that problem.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #58
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,438
Rewards Points: 4,522
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Depends on the type of control. Some controls don't require the boiler to be at any temp to run the circ. Like on cold start boilers. the thermostat calls, and both the circ and burner are energized, and the aquastat on controls the burner.

The circ running weather or not the burner is working is actually a good thing. It helps prevent the heating pipes from freezing when the burner fails.

Some higher end mod/com boilers come with that feature build in to their control modules to protect the piping and the boiler.

What boiler do you have, brand and model, and what circ relays, and aquastats.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,258
Rewards Points: 1,044
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


So on all boilers with auto feed valves(Millions) the manual valve should be closed at all times? Yes /No?
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #60
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,438
Rewards Points: 4,522
Default

Water leaking from boiler..


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
So on all boilers with auto feed valves(Millions) the manual valve should be closed at all times? Yes /No?
Yes, closed. Once you have the air bled out of the system, there is no need for it to be open.

Another ill side effect of leaving it open. Is that if you don't go down in your basement much. You could have a water leak for a long time. Before you found out. And have a lot of things ruined. And the water could cause structural damage if it soaked into wood supports.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boiler and hot water venting AdamBNYC Plumbing 3 08-26-2010 06:09 PM
Leaking Water Heater (from Cold Inlet?) doesntmatter Plumbing 7 07-12-2010 10:30 PM
Coverting from Steam to Hot water Boiler ericm215 HVAC 1 05-23-2010 11:03 PM
Hot Water Heater Leaking From Top jim.flack Plumbing 3 01-13-2010 05:56 PM
HVAC Unit Leaking Water timb10594 HVAC 1 08-26-2009 10:51 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts