Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #1

Share |

Water leaked into furnace

Okay, a dumb thing happened.

The air conditioner was turned on last night and unbeknownst to us the air con hose was on top of the furnace and dripped water down into the gas furnace component panel. There was a box there that read "Danger explosion could occur if valve has been flooded..." So went into panic mode and switched the little button on the box to "off"-(Had already turned off the Air con- and furnace continued to Run- ummmm -yeah that can't be good either) And since the furnace was still running- Killed it by turning off the FUSE Panel for furnace.

Should we evacuate? Call in a repair-man? The furnace and air con were working but after all night of leaking water into the components how long before the house blows up? And who is brave enough to turn it all back on? Husband went back to bed- no worries.

So am I over-reacting or should we get out of Dodge?
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #2

I believe that only means during Heating operations not while running the A/C
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #3

they are talking the GAS side on that flooding and explosions...if you had a flood and the furnace was on the basement floor and was under water the combination of gas and water going thru the heating valve could cause a fire condition.the water in and around the AC compartment is not going to explode...if you have the air duster stuff you use to clean your computer key pad and blow out the dust just do the unit WITH POWER OFF...and towel away the rest to dry it up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #4

Since I shut everything down... I've put the de-humidifier in the furnace room and have already soaked up a full container of water! Jeez-lucky I woke up at 5 a.m. and checked on the furnace- What worried me was that water had probably leaked down into the box with the igniter and controller - I pulled out the switch plugs on those as well to hopefully dry out the whole lot. That's another year taken off my life prematurely!
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote