Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Share |
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


I defer to the HVAC pros on the makeup air, but just out of curiosity, How can I have a vent free gas log, and a gas stove with no flue bburning inside the house without problems? Are they that much more efficient than a gas water heater?

Also, If you have a gas water heater in your basement, and say you have two bathroom exhaust fans running, pulling negative pressure on your home, how is that different from having a separate room that uses ambient air for combustion?

Im asking because Im interested, not to buck the code.

My dad always said that its no good to have a house thats too tight, and now I believe him.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Amazon.com: Easy Heat EH-38 Freeze Thermostatically Controlled Valve and Pipe

Not too sure if I am onboard with the light bulb idea....but I grew up in the Chicago area and my dad had a light in the pump house for several years. As I child my friends and I would play in there in the winter and it was always much warmer than the outside temp...even when well below freezing. Anyway, these devices are used here just about everywhere in the pump houses with a small heat lamp. It's just something you need to check at the beginning of each winter season.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
momof2labs (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Here I am Visualizing a water heater tank standing in a separate room. Pictures really are very helpful, or at least a description which has all the basic information. Geeeeeeeeeeez! SO much for assumption
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Items wanted: Time
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 195
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I defer to the HVAC pros on the makeup air, but just out of curiosity, How can I have a vent free gas log, and a gas stove with no flue bburning inside the house without problems? Are they that much more efficient than a gas water heater?

Also, If you have a gas water heater in your basement, and say you have two bathroom exhaust fans running, pulling negative pressure on your home, how is that different from having a separate room that uses ambient air for combustion?

Im asking because Im interested, not to buck the code.

My dad always said that its no good to have a house thats too tight, and now I believe him.
Super tight homes, .5 air changes per hour or less, will have problems, not so tight homes will not. Your second point, it's a world of difference, heater in basement w/exhaust fans, again in tight construction that exhausted air will be made up somewhere, hopefully not through the flue. Same goes for sepererate room, the exhaust needs to be replaced or eventually the appliance will not vent.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NiNe O For This Useful Post:
jagans (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 114
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Here I am Visualizing a water heater tank standing in a separate room. Pictures really are very helpful, or at least a description which has all the basic information. Geeeeeeeeeeez! SO much for assumption
I am not there but in the process of moving there. (Very soon). The room is about 6 x 6 and contains the electric panel, 3 water treatment tanks and a furnace(?). I'm going from memory.
momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


When you get there, take some pictures and let us know how that heat pump breathes.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #22
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,735
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I defer to the HVAC pros on the makeup air, but just out of curiosity, How can I have a vent free gas log, and a gas stove with no flue bburning inside the house without problems? Are they that much more efficient than a gas water heater?

Also, If you have a gas water heater in your basement, and say you have two bathroom exhaust fans running, pulling negative pressure on your home, how is that different from having a separate room that uses ambient air for combustion?

Im asking because Im interested, not to buck the code.

My dad always said that its no good to have a house thats too tight, and now I believe him.
Might be that you have problems but just don't know it yet. Gas ovens are permitted to put off up to 800PPM CO. They are not very efficient.

Put a high end CO detector above your stove or oven and it will alarm quickly.

Your house may have a higher leakage rate then you realize. Could be over 1 ACH.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 597
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

Might be that you have problems but just don't know it yet. Gas ovens are permitted to put off up to 800PPM CO. They are not very efficient.

Put a high end CO detector above your stove or oven and it will alarm quickly.

Your house may have a higher leakage rate then you realize. Could be over 1 ACH.
Domestic gas ranges are only allowed to put out 500ppm here, and that is from an undiluted flue gas sample (ie taken before the flue gas leaves the appliance).

Placing a CO detector/alarm too close to a gas appliance could give a false high CO reading. Follow manufacturer's suggestions.

This Christmas I am on standby and fully expect to be called out for at least a few CO calls: cooking all day on a gas range will lead to a build-up of CO on a detector and necessitate a visit from the gas company to ensure that here is no real problem. This is almost guaranteed. But, this is what I do, and safety us paramount, so if you suspect CO is present, or smell gas, CALL YOUR GAS COMPANY!!! I would rather go to a million false calls than one real CO/gas odour call with a fatality/sickness. Stay safe this Christmas!

Last edited by hvac benny; 12-14-2012 at 03:38 AM.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #24
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,735
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
Domestic gas ranges are only allowed to put out 500ppm here, and that is from an undiluted flue gas sample (ie taken before the flue gas leaves the appliance).

Placing a CO detector/alarm too close to a gas appliance could give a false high CO reading. Follow manufacturer's suggestions.

This Christmas I am on standby and fully expect to be called out for at least a few CO calls: cooking all day on a gas range will lead to a build-up of CO on a detector and necessitate a visit from the gas company to ensure that here is no real problem. This is almost guaranteed. But, this is what I do, and safety us paramount, so if you suspect CO is present, or smell gas, CALL YOUR GAS COMPANY!!! I would rather go to a million false calls than one real CO/gas odour call with a fatality/sickness. Stay safe this Christmas!

Placing a detector close to the range/oven was just to show him how in-efficient his range/oven is at burning gas.

ANSI standard is 800PPM AF(0.08%). UL is much lower(probably the 500 you said).
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #25
Items wanted: Time
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 195
Default

water heater in unheated utility room


Deleted

NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
unheated utility room, uninsulated water heater, water heater jacket


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water heater solutions to get hot water in timely manner daluu Plumbing 22 05-07-2012 08:44 PM
no water at sink after water heater removal rebelbull Plumbing 2 07-19-2011 12:37 AM
Water heater for upstairs guest room in barn minduhla Plumbing 2 10-11-2009 04:14 PM
Bosch 1600H Tankless Water Heater natemclain HVAC 13 08-24-2009 10:33 AM
Water heater pressure relief valve confusion Flt_Simulation Plumbing 4 07-11-2009 10:02 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.