Water Heater Safety For Others - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Water heater safety for others

I have a big 700 sq ft room in my house which is not being used effectively. Hence I planned to convert that as a studio to rent it out.

That room also has a water heater,Washer and Dryer.
Water Heater:
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P2060042.jpg

Since water heater is in that room does it a create a saftey concern for a renter ? Do you think any renter would not live in since it has a water heater ?

Please let me know. If that is the case, I need to move this heater to some other place. I appreciate your help.

Advertisement

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

How do they plan on heating water? Use the stove to do it? Having a Water heater is one of those great inventions, that not only allows you to take warm showers, but also adds to the quality of life.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

If it is a non-electric water heater then it needs a vent opening to the outside to get makeup air into the room for combustion -- inaddition to the flue. Some of the very modern gas water heaters have a concentric flue and air intake using just one opening in the siding of the house.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
How do they plan on heating water? Use the stove to do it? Having a Water heater is one of those great inventions, that not only allows you to take warm showers, but also adds to the quality of life.
No, The plan is I will move water heater to other place, if it is a safety hazard to the renter. I know water heater is a must for living now.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If it is a non-electric water heater then it needs a vent opening to the outside to get makeup air into the room for combustion -- inaddition to the flue. Some of the very modern gas water heaters have a concentric flue and air intake using just one opening in the siding of the house.
It is a non-electirc water heater, runs by gas.

The question is - Does renter treat this as a safety hazard for him ? If that is the case, I have to move this to some other place.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

It is only a safety issue, if the renter starts messing with the owner's property by defeating safeties, and structure of the building.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Where does its combustion air come from. Where will the bedroom be? There are codes on the location of gas burning appliances and bedrooms.

May want to check with your local authority. Before you do any work in this room.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (02-24-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Where does its combustion air come from. Where will the bedroom be? There are codes on the location of gas burning appliances and bedrooms.

May want to check with your local authority. Before you do any work in this room.
I am not sure. How do I know where does the air come from for combustion ?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Leaks in the structure, windows, doors, duct work venting to the outside for fresh air, vents in the room to the outside, or just the room itself if not occupied. If it was me, I would locate the water heater into a utility space same with the washer & dryer that has a fire rated door to separate from the living area. That is why you will see furnaces & water heaters in closets only accessible from outside the living area in apartments & condos.

I would go with a On Demand/tankless water heater over a tank type. Because of mainly less space is taken up, and two it can be placed out of the way in the utility space.

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-21-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Leaks in the structure, windows, doors, duct work venting to the outside for fresh air, vents in the room to the outside, or just the room itself if not occupied. If it was me, I would locate the water heater into a utility space same with the washer & dryer that has a fire rated door to separate from the living area. That is why you will see furnaces & water heaters in closets only accessible from outside the living area in apartments & condos.

I would go with a On Demand/tankless water heater over a tank type. Because of mainly less space is taken up, and two it can be placed out of the way in the utility space.
Makes sense. My tank type water heater is relatively new. Now I am planning to move this to garage, if I can find enough space to it.

Though I like the idea of tankless water heater, not sure the cost of it.. in relation to moving the existing heater.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
HVAC Supermodel

Rewards Points: 150

Get a good carbon monoxide detector for that space. CO is the only hazard I can think of.
unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Going with a Tankless would be cheaper in the long run, plus you do not have to worry about complaints about the tenant running short of hot water during a shower that is while the Dishwasher & laundry is going.

Advertisement