Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #1

Share |

Water in Furnace

I have an old oil furnace located in the cellar of my home. Last week, the cellar flooded. It was about 16 inches deep, and the furnace sits on the floor. I have dried it out as much as possible, but don't really know how to thoroughly dry it out. And, it won't start. How can I get it going again?
Jerry Myrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Water in Furnace

Hi Jerry Myrick

I have just recently done some research on household oil furnaces, they are almost identical to the waste oil heaters I work on. To answer your question, you will want to call in the professionals for this one. If your lucky you have a Beckett burner, the parts are quite reasonable and they are very reliable.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
World famous jerk.

Water in Furnace

Flooded to 16 inches, it is very likely that your primary control is wasted. This is pretty much the only electronic part on an oil burner that low. It is quite likely that replacement of the primary will get you going again. (If your furnace is really old, you may not have a primary control, but you will have an ignition transformer that might be water soaked and ruined). BUT....

If your oil furnace is one of the one's with a soft refractory lining in the firebox (sorta like stiff fiberglass insulation), it could be laying in a blob in the bottom of the firebox. If you fire up your furnace during a condtion like that, you can burn a hole through the heat exchanger. That refractory would need replaced as well.

It is best if a technician stops by to replace the water damaged pieces and give your furnace its annual tune up.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #4

Water in Furnace

I need a new furnace. Any recommendations?
Jerry Myrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Water in Furnace

Hi Jerry Myrick

I am not sure which way to send you for an oil fired furnace. If it were waste oil, hands down a Reznor. But working for a Carrier dealer for years I have grown to like their buiness practices. They are very strickt about customer satifaction, they stand behind their equipment very well. Not sure about their oil burners but if its half as good as their gas fired. You would be in for a life of pleasure. Go to www.carrier.com this will have a dealer locater as well as available equipment. You can find dealers in you neighborhood. Let me know if I can help further, give mdshunk a nudge and see what he has to say.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
World famous jerk.

Water in Furnace

If it's a steam or hot water furnace, hand's down; Burnham. If it's warm air, it doesn't really matter what brand. Just look for the Beckett burner, which most of them feature.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote