Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

water is dripping from vent pipe

I bought a foreclosed house. I had my guy come in and start up the furnase. I have noticed water, condensation?, dripping from the tin vent tube that attaches into the chimney in the basement and out the roof. What would cause this? Is the chimney clogged and not allowing the heat to vent?
klaus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #2

same as a car tail pipe when you see water dripping out it 's condensation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus135 View Post
I bought a foreclosed house. I had my guy come in and start up the furnase. I have noticed water, condensation?, dripping from the tin vent tube that attaches into the chimney in the basement and out the roof. What would cause this? Is the chimney clogged and not allowing the heat to vent?
My guess its and 80% furnace tied into a chimney without a flue linner....pictures would help....but as you said its dripping there condensation going on.. and yes it could be clogged why didn't furnace guy check that?? should have done complete safty check .... just thinking could be draft hood furnace too....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Could be many things. Since it was a forclosed house I'd guess no ones been there for a while and there was little if an maintance done before.
No cap on chimmney and there's been rain coming in, condinsation built up in the pipe ect.
If you can see water dripping then carbon menoxide can also leak out of that pipe.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Chicago, IL

If it's a foreclosed house, birds or animals may have bee nesting there. The chimney could be partially blocked - a very substantial hazard.

These guys were living in a chimney venting both a water heater and a furnace:
Attached Thumbnails
water is dripping from vent pipe-chimney__cap_squirrels-01a-.jpg  
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #6

Do I call back my furnase guy, or a chimney sweep?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

I would call your guy and have him inspect the chimney with a mirror and explain to him about the water and have him find out why it is happening. No point in getting a chimney sweep when there may be nothing wrong with it. If it is an unlined chimney or the area where the venting is is COLD then it may be sweating /condensing the moisture in the flue gases(smoke)and that will rot out that pipe and create a hazard. we use B vent, 2 wall pipe from the furnace to the chimney for that reason and to meet the code.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I did call my furnace guy back. He stated it will drip water cause it is an unlined chimney, which he stated was common with older homes. He stated the chimney is not blocked because there is a pressure switch in the furnace that would be tripped if it was not venting properly. He said I have to live with it unless I but a liner in the chimney. True?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

code now says you must have a liner. the moisture will eat out the mortar between the bricks and it will collapse. having a pressure switch is NOT a 100% guarantee you won't have a dangerous condition. it can fail/be inaccurate.

grandfather clause allows those old installs but that does not make them safe. they found these problems later and changed the code but those are still grandfathered in.

Last edited by yuri; 12-01-2011 at 06:18 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #10

Ok, thanks. Is putting a liner down the chimney a DIY project? I have been doing all my own rehabs and can figure out just about anything. I have never seen a liner, is it just a matter of putting 6 inch tubes down the chimney untill I reach the bottom and then attach the 4inch furnace vent tube?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
how

A flexible continuous chimney vent that goes from the top of the chimney all the way down and into your furnace room will be your easiest route. Is the chimney on an outside wall or not? Do any other gas appliances use this chimney? Do you know the total Btu's of all the appliances that will be using this vent? Do you know the total height from the top of your furnace to the top of the chimney? You will also need a method of securing the chimney vent at the top of the chimney.
Yes it's a possible DIY job but you should educate yourself about it first and have a friend available to help you feeding it down the chimney.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
how

Yuris post about using b vent between the furnace and the chimney should be paid attention to.
I've seen monoxide calls from rust perforated single wall vents on mid efficiency furnaces inside of the first four years of operation..
how is offline   Reply With Quote