From Water Baseboard, To Electric Baseboard Heating... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Newbie
 
He123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Close by...
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


I have googled the vs many a times, and this is not that type of thread. I currently own a 900+ sf cape cod which has 2 types of heating sources. The 2 bedrooms upstairs have electric baseboard heating, with the water baseboard heating located downstairs.

The downstairs is powered by an oil furnace which also heats up my water and is driving me nuts, lol. The system was installed brand new in early 04', with a 20+ year old 275 gallon oil tank that is outside. The filter is also outside, but with heat tape, and very well insulated. Yet, it still freezes!

I live in the sate of Delaware, and the past 2 winters, we have had a pretty calm winter, and nothing like this year.

Now, the reason I'm converting to electric baseboard is very simple, I own a small house which is on concrete slab. I need to replace the oil tank, the blower housing plus my expansion tank. That right there is around 3g's. Plus, no more hear that heater turn on, God cant stand it.

The cost of yearly maintnance, plus oil cost has reached a limit in me, and Im do.

What I have not found is anything actully doing such a convertion, in such a small house as mine. If any has done such a conversion, or know of someone that has in the Delaware valley, plus give me some of the feed back.

I already know of the pros, and cons on the conversion.

Thanks for any replies...

Advertisement

He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,833
Rewards Points: 2,300
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Quote:
I already know of the pros, and cons on the conversion.
Ayuh,.... So what's the Question,..??

Ya rip out the hydronic system, hang the new electric baseboards, wire 'em up, 'n hope yer electrical entrance is big enough to handle the added load...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Newbie
 
He123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Close by...
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Just looking to see if anyone around my area has done the conversion. I know it's not recommend for the colder parts of the country, or in larger homes.
He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,822
Rewards Points: 2,318
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Quote:
Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
Just looking to see if anyone around my area has done the conversion. I know it's not recommend for the colder parts of the country, or in larger homes.
FHW is the BEST heating method available.
Fuel oil appliances (to heat the water) and tanks are a major PITA.

If you're willing to spend a small wad... fix the actual problem:
http://ecomfort.com/eb-ma-10-warmflo...10kw-3145.html
http://www.heatersplus.com/products/boiler.html

(you may still have issues with amperage available)

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Newbie
 
He123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Close by...
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
FHW is the BEST heating method available.
Fuel oil appliances (to heat the water) and tanks are a major PITA.

If you're willing to spend a small wad... fix the actual problem:
http://www.heatersplus.com/products/boiler.html

(you may still have issues with amperage available)
I have never seen such a system, and I have asked if such a system ever existed. Never got an answer, and was always giving the $10+K options.

You just put a smile on my face.
He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,573
Rewards Points: 4,784
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


So whats your electric rate, and what did you pay per gallon last delivery.

Electric baseboard may be cheaper to use then an electric boiler. Since with baseboard you can have a thermostat in every room, and only heat the rooms you want, and to a different temp in each room. unless you zone the baseboard system, using an electric boiler will still have you heating each room to the same temp.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Newbie
 
He123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Close by...
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
So whats your electric rate, and what did you pay per gallon last delivery.

Electric baseboard may be cheaper to use then an electric boiler. Since with baseboard you can have a thermostat in every room, and only heat the rooms you want, and to a different temp in each room. unless you zone the baseboard system, using an electric boiler will still have you heating each room to the same temp.
I am on a budget for my electricity at $98 a month, and $395 for 100 gallons of heating oil last week. I liking the electric boiler option, since I wouldn't have to worry about a frozen line, or the sound of the system.

Did I mention the heater is located right in my kitchen.
He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,573
Rewards Points: 4,784
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Short fills are charged a higher per gallon rate. your electric bill/statement still has the rate they charge you posted on it. Your electric bill will go up a lot after you switch to an electric boiler.

$35.27 for 1,000,000 BTUs deliver by oil at $3.95 a gallon. If your electric is under $0.12 per KWH all charges included, then electric will be cheaper. Of course, if you got 175 gallons per fill, the price of oil per gallon would be less.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Newbie
 
He123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Close by...
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

From water baseboard, to electric baseboard heating...


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Short fills are charged a higher per gallon rate. your electric bill/statement still has the rate they charge you posted on it. Your electric bill will go up a lot after you switch to an electric boiler.

$35.27 for 1,000,000 BTUs deliver by oil at $3.95 a gallon. If your electric is under $0.12 per KWH all charges included, then electric will be cheaper. Of course, if you got 175 gallons per fill, the price of oil per gallon would be less.
Very true, but not dealing with a heater in the kitchen, and frozen line is we worth the extra $ a month.

Now, the electric boiler has caught my eye. I will be calling those companies on Monday to see if they sell to any of my local HVAC companies.

I just want to spend one winner with out the headaches that these systems hand out.

Advertisement

He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grossly insufficient water supply to toilet wasting water? mysterylectric Plumbing 8 01-17-2012 12:19 PM
Electric Hot Water Heating Question Optix Plumbing 0 09-09-2011 09:35 AM
Filling a Cast Iron radiator system insulatorpro HVAC 7 10-07-2008 12:31 AM
Baseboard heating overpressure puzzle palmpilot HVAC 9 12-26-2007 12:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts