Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Water around furnace.

I bought this house last winter. When I turned the AC on this summer, the pipe was freezing at the AC unit outside. I called an air conditioning guy in and he said it was low on freon. He filled it up and the AC is working fine now. However, I noticed that in the basement, there is a pool of water around the base of the furnace. At first I thought it was condensation but there was a fair bit of water there (maybe abount 2 litres). I used a wetvac to soak up the water but it keeps coming back. It looks like it is coming from the furnace. I replaced the filter in the furnace and the one I took out was wet. The hot water tank is next to the furnace but I don't think its coming from there. On top of the furnace (where the actual furnace meets the duct work), I can see water dripping out of one corner. there is nothing coming out of the drain pipe (from the furnace to the floor drain) as it is bone dry. I am guessing its clogged but I can't see anyway to check/clean it. There isn't a door or access panel to get at it.
Once again, the AC unit is working and blowing good.

Any ideas as to where the water is coming from and how do I stop it? Once I wetvac it up, it comes back within 30 minutes.

thanks,

Milton_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Water around furnace.

Drain pipe is clogged or the drain panel inside the furnace has rusty/cracked

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Water around furnace.

I ws able to get a peek inside through a duct joint. The drain pipe is not clogged and the pan that the evaporator (looks like a rad) is in, is rusted and not very wet. So I think the pan is rusted or cracked (as you said JJboy).

New question - am I able to change the pan myself or do I have to get a tech in? If its going to cost a few hundred bucks then ok but I don't want to have to shell out $1000's.

thanks
Milton_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Water around furnace.

The proper way to replace is remove the A-coil form the furnace..... You need a tech to do this.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote