Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Warranty

I am replacing my central split unit and have found several online. I have also gotten estimates from contractors. My questiion is will I still have a warrenty if I buy the unit myself and hire a licensed pro to install it. One of the guys giving an estimate said unless a licensed pro purchased the unit the manufactures warrenty wouldn't be honored. Is this true?

Last edited by cookieb; 02-11-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling
cookieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

Yes.

All the warranties i have read are voided if purchased on line.

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2

Warranty

How can they do that if the equipment warranty is registered?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Warranty

I just googled wholesale hvac supplies and came up with a site called budget heating/cooling that appears to sell rheem and a brand called diamond?
Anyway looks like theyll sell to anybody with a pulse and a credit/debit card,under their warranty info it says all manufacturers warrantys are in affect they just dont warranty any labor.
Im used to buying things through supply houses when I need them here locally ,never bought on line myself
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

serial number tracks the unit and who the buyer is.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Warranty

lets see if I can make this workhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HQXLChXSHu9zxw
Look down on the bottem under terms/conditions ,looks like a normal warranty to me anyway
Old 02-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
lets see if I can make this workhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HQXLChXSHu9zxw
Look down on the bottem under terms/conditions ,looks like a normal warranty to me anyway
Dude...that is not the factory warranty..its the website's policy.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Warranty

It says based on the manufacturer and type of equipment,you still have a warranty.
So you get the replacement parts through their warranty process,they deal with the factory.

When I have a warranty issue with a goodman furnace I take the part to johnstone supply and they warranty it for me and they deal with goodman through their connections.
Either way you get the parts under warranty
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

here is an example of the factory warranty

Web Site Links

Links from this site may lead to other web sites which are maintained and hosted by third parties. Heat Controller, Inc., has no control over these sites and is not responsible for any material which appears on linked sites.
Internet Sales

Heat Controller, Inc., does not authorize sale of its Comfort-Aire and Century equipment via the internet directly to consumers and internet purchase of such equipment voids the product warranty.
Heat Controller/Century/Comfort-Aire equipment for heating, cooling and ventilation (HVAC) is designed for comfort and reliability, whether in the home or in a commercial facility. To assure that it performs as intended, the equipment must be properly sized and selected for a specific application and must be installed by a professional, trained technician.
For the following reasons we do not warranty products purchased via the internet:
1. Wrong or improperly sized equipment or accessories may adversely affect performance. A trained professional installer will select the appropriate product(s) for your installation based on a site visit to the structure. He will generally prepare heating/cooling load calculations, and will determine capacity, electric service, wiring, controls, and the best type of equipment for your individual application.
2. A system installation that does not consist of industry-approved matched components may not be eligible for federal or state tax credits in effect at the time of purchase.
3. Equipment may not be installed according to Heat Controller installation instructions and in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal codes, which may result in fines.
4. Professional technicians are trained in handling of natural and LP gas, fuel oil, refrigerants under pressure, and electricity; improper handling and installation of equipment containing or involving these substances can result in damage to property, personal injury, and even death.
5. You may not receive the after-sales support that an authorized distributor and/or dealer/installer can provide.
NOTE: The preceding statements regarding internet sales of HVAC equipment do not apply to Comfort-Aire room air products and portable dehumidifiers, and Comfort-Aire/Century patio coolers, which operate on standard household current (115V 60 Hz) and which are designed for installation by the consumer, following all instructions and observing all warnings included with the unit.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Experienced

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Dude...that is not the factory warranty..its the website's policy.
But this is "Dude"

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/WarrantyOv...4/Default.aspx

And all it requires is the purchaser / home owner register the product within 60 days.

Your example is brand specific, and doesn't apply across the board!

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
here is an example of the factory warranty

Web Site Links

Links from this site may lead to other web sites which are maintained and hosted by third parties. Heat Controller, Inc., has no control over these sites and is not responsible for any material which appears on linked sites.
Internet Sales

Heat Controller, Inc., does not authorize sale of its Comfort-Aire and Century equipment via the internet directly to consumers and internet purchase of such equipment voids the product warranty.
Heat Controller/Century/Comfort-Aire equipment for heating, cooling and ventilation (HVAC) is designed for comfort and reliability, whether in the home or in a commercial facility. To assure that it performs as intended, the equipment must be properly sized and selected for a specific application and must be installed by a professional, trained technician.
For the following reasons we do not warranty products purchased via the internet:
1. Wrong or improperly sized equipment or accessories may adversely affect performance. A trained professional installer will select the appropriate product(s) for your installation based on a site visit to the structure. He will generally prepare heating/cooling load calculations, and will determine capacity, electric service, wiring, controls, and the best type of equipment for your individual application.
2. A system installation that does not consist of industry-approved matched components may not be eligible for federal or state tax credits in effect at the time of purchase.
3. Equipment may not be installed according to Heat Controller installation instructions and in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal codes, which may result in fines.
4. Professional technicians are trained in handling of natural and LP gas, fuel oil, refrigerants under pressure, and electricity; improper handling and installation of equipment containing or involving these substances can result in damage to property, personal injury, and even death.
5. You may not receive the after-sales support that an authorized distributor and/or dealer/installer can provide.
NOTE: The preceding statements regarding internet sales of HVAC equipment do not apply to Comfort-Aire room air products and portable dehumidifiers, and Comfort-Aire/Century patio coolers, which operate on standard household current (115V 60 Hz) and which are designed for installation by the consumer, following all instructions and observing all warnings included with the unit.
Last time I checked there was more than i manufacturer/supplier of hvac equipment.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
But this is "Dude"

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/WarrantyOv...4/Default.aspx

And all it requires is the purchaser / home owner register the product within 60 days.

Your example is brand specific, and doesn't apply across the board!

Mark
I don't see anything stating they don't void the warranty on internet sale.

And I never said it applies across the board....I said "All the warranties i have read void warranty on internet sales". I think it's a safe bet that means I have not read all of them. If there are some that don't void internet sales I have never heard of it.

And I have never called you "Dude" and I won't in future either. So let's not make an issue of it.

Last edited by hvac5646; 02-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #13

Warranty

Here is the official Rheem website that says what the "rules" are...
http://www.rheem.com/products/heating_and_cooling/consumer_protection/
I personally think that it is a bad policy by Rheem, but it is their company and they can offer any type and style of warranty that they want. Typically the market place dictates the warranty so that the customers buy the product. I would suggest voting with your feet if you donít like the policy. I do think that the policy has some merit, but then again, they might be able to modify the policy to include internet sales. the idea that I am thinking is that they could offer a warranty, but unless the system is "commissioned" by a trained installation company, If not, the warranty, which could be as low as 30 days, would be void.
Just saying...
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Warranty

As long as the parts get waranteed if need be it doesnt really matter ,just trying to show that buying things online does not mean youre going to be stuck buying parts if something goes wrong.
On the majority of equipment ive seen over the years the warranty never becomes an issue if things were installed right,but if youre lucky enough to get the lemon out of the bunch it can be a handy item to have
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf

Warranty

Problem is that there are a lot of over and under sized units being sold on the net.

This is going to cause premature parts failure. The warranty departments are not going to replace defective parts on mis-installed units. Period.