Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Warm Air from AC

Good evening everyone. I'm new here, but I've read a few threads here and there the past few months. Whoever reads this should know that I am not very knowledgeable about these things, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

So here's the situation:

The other night my AC starting blowing out warm air so I shut it off for a few minutes and then turned it back on. Same thing. So I left it run and went outside to check the condenser and its fan was running but it was very quiet, not your normal AC noise that you normally get from one.

I wait a couple hours and turned it back on and it was fine. A few folks suggested that it just froze up, but I called the repair man anyway. He said that if it froze up, I would have water inside my house by the air handler and since I didn't, he didn't think that it had froze. I told him not to bother coming out since it was working fine...

...until today. Same thing happened. I waited a few hours and now it's fine. Here's the thing: I checked all over the internet and everyone is suggesting it's low on freon or has a leak. The service man just checked it out early last week and filled it up and even said that it hadn't used that much since last year!

So what do you guys think?

Tomthebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Warm Air from AC

Well, first off a unit shouldn't "use" refrigerant. If it is low there is a leak somewhere. Its hard to tell from here but its possible that something is overheating and when you give it a break it cools off and resets itself. If the fan is still running then I would suspect the compressor. This could be caused by many things like a bad capaciter or dirty condensor to name a few. If it cools OK when it is working I would suspect the refrigerant is OK or possibly overcharged.

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Warm Air from AC

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on replacing my furnace and air conditioner this fall. Currently the furnace and air handler are in a closet next to the living room and it is very loud. I want to move it to the attic, but no one wants to do that until it cools off. So until then, I'm kinda stuck. I don't want to sink too much money into something I'm replacing soon, but then again, if it dies on me I'm screwed and have to do something.

Any tips? Will this be a major problem?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Warm Air from AC

Like I said it is hard to tell from here. It could be a simple repair or a major one. Its letting you know something is wrong so while it gives you a chance you should call a company to take a look.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Warm Air from AC

The longer you wait to have it checked out.
The greater the chance it will give out comepletely during the hottest time of the year.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Warm Air from AC

Yep, I agree.

I'll give the repair man a call next week. Thanks for the help guys.

If anyone else has an idea, please throw it out there.