Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Want to go digital...

Digital programmable, that is. I recently purchased a home with two separate HVAC systems (upstairs and downstairs). The air conditioning for each floor is a two-ton Tempstar single stage unit; the heating is forced air gas. Each floor is controlled by a White-Rodgers mechanical stat; they are four-wire units.

Now, the question. I was gifted by an HVAC installer's widow, with two Honeywell T8611G digital/programmable thermostats, new in their respective boxes. Can I swap the mechanical stats out with these? The box states they're for use with heat pumps, but I've read elsewhere that's a matter of the staging, and that I should just be able to use the R, W1, Y1, and G posts. Problem is, I don't always trust 'elsewhere', so I'm here, with hat in hand, to query the experts. ANY advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, one and all!

Last edited by Mavvy1954; 12-06-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Mavvy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Want to go digital...

Not really.

They energize the Y terminal on a call for heat. So your A/C would want to run when ever they brought the heat on.

If you wired the furnace to W1, and jumpered from E to W1. And turned the stat to emergency heat. It would work. But you couldn't use the auto change over feature. And have to remember to always set the stat to emergency heat in the winter instead of heat.

Those are dinosaur thermostats.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #3

Want to go digital...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Not really.

They energize the Y terminal on a call for heat. So your A/C would want to run when ever they brought the heat on.

If you wired the furnace to W1, and jumpered from E to W1. And turned the stat to emergency heat. It would work. But you couldn't use the auto change over feature. And have to remember to always set the stat to emergency heat in the winter instead of heat.

Those are dinosaur thermostats.
Thanks! Very good info. I'll probably wait till I have a little extra jingle in the pocket and head to Lowes or H/D for more current Honeywell models then. Any suggestion on which to use (given the info I listed) that's not gonna destroy my bank account? I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I WOULD like them to be programmable so as to not misuse heating/cooling when I'm not here, use less of either while I'm sleeping, kick on before I wake up or get home...that sort of thing.

Last edited by Mavvy1954; 12-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Want to go digital...

I prefer Honeywell thermostats.
But since box stores don't sell the same models. I can't tell you what model numbers to look for at those places.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #5

Want to go digital...

Quote:
I prefer Honeywell thermostats.
But since box stores don't sell the same models. I can't tell you what model numbers to look for at those places.
Cool on that. So, what, perhaps, should I look for insofar as the basics...wiring, etc.? Should I look for something that specifies single-stage heating/cooling? (I DO know it's 24V-the mechs have the mercury bubble switch. I am SO lame at this. But, I can play a wicked 70s-rock guitar!) I'm assuming I just stay away from heat pump models?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Want to go digital...

Most any higher end thermostat will be both heat pump and furnace with A/C compatible(unless it says heat pump thermostat).

The higher the model number, the higher it is in model line.

It can be single or 2 stage. On 2 stage, you just don't use teh second stage ability.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #7

Want to go digital...

Quote:
Most any higher end thermostat will be both heat pump and furnace with A/C compatible(unless it says heat pump thermostat).

The higher the model number, the higher it is in model line.

It can be single or 2 stage. On 2 stage, you just don't use teh second stage ability.
Great! Hey, I really appreciate having had the chance to pick your brain...thanks! I'm STILL waiting for my IRS "first-time homebuyer" refund (LONG story...been going on since last of June), and when it DOES finally make it through all the bureaucratic rubbish, these are at the top of the list (along with putting down a good laminate flooring). I intend this to be my 'last' house, and making it as comfy as possible to come home to.

Again, muchas gracias!