DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

In Wall radiators, how to increase efficiency?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

This will be my first winter in the new house, a 1940s cape in MA. I have gas forced hot water, with in wall radiators. The radiators are all on external walls under recently replaced double-pane windows. We also have blown cellulose in all external walls.

My question is how to increase the efficiency of the radiators. As they are in wall, I would assume some/much of the heat goes directly to heaing the outside wall. Is there any type of insulation that can be placed behind the radiator to reflect heat inward towards the room?

Thanks!

Bryan

#2 ·
What kind of radiator?
The old fashioned big ones? That's what I have - 50's house
My kitchen & one 2nd floor are built in
The kitchen radiator is oversized, I think it was sized to provide some geat for 2nd floor as it is near the stairs

Is the top of the in-wall area sloped up to allow heat to escape freely?
Another thing I have seen in a house built in the 40's is a piece of steel (I think) that was between the radiator & the wall, it sloped up towards the front in a curve

I never really worrried about my radiators, they work fine even recessed
The one I want recessed is in the front hall, it sticks out too much

You could also possibly feed some insulation behind the radiators & new thin board
But that would be a pain
Best would be remove the radiator, install the board insulation & wall covering
Then re-install the radiator

BUT, if they have never been moved/disconnected then I wouldn't touch them
My plumber didn't want to touch existing radiators to redo heating system
He said too many possible problems with vlaves/connections possibly breaking
And since my heat works fine.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.