Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wall mounted Propane Boiler Capacity

I'm building a 2500 sq. ft house in Vermont, baseboard heat throughout with radiant in the garage floor zone (26'x26'). I will be heating with propane, and see they now have these compact wall mounted boilers. Can someone tell me if this style can keep up with 5-6 heating zones (1st floor, 2nd floor, bonus room, garage, crawl space, hot water)? I would also need hot water, if the unit could handle an indirect system great, if not I could install a separate water heater. Any real world experience with these types of systems would be appreciated. I will be having a plumbing install the system, but I just want to be sure he knows what he's doing.

vtboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Ayuh,.... 1st off, figure out yer heat loss...

Then you'll need a boiler with a heating capacity Higher than yer heat loss...

there ain't no short answer to yer question...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Let mew chim in with a truth here.There is no more comfortable heat than an in floor system.It isn't even close.A properly sized and designed system is the meaning of comfort in a cold climate.
In floor sizing is a lot differant than other sizing methods so you can't just use a manuel "J".
Contractors that do in floor heating have have very spacific heat loss programs that they use.
Most manufacturers will do a heat loss sizing and design so that their product will be a shinning example out in the real world.
I'm a retired contractor and have nothing to gain saying this only experience with very happy customers.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Well a wall mounted boiler is high efficient and modulating. Based upon the Sq Ft you would need a boiler 75,000 Btus. An indirect tank is made to plumb to a boiler. It has a seperate heating coil that you boiler would use to heat the HWt thus it is its own zone. Your boiler would be able to do any or all zones. Its important to have the boiler properly sized. With what you are describing I would suggest a Triangle Tube solo110. Has a good range of modulation and has the internal controls for your DHW. Good luck!
buehler is offline   Reply With Quote