Wall Mount Temperature Sensors That Work With Honeywell Thermostats? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wall mount temperature sensors that work with Honeywell thermostats?

Can anyone tell me what wall mount temperature sensors will work with Honeywell thermostats, specifically the Visionpro IAQ? I'd prefer something that is a flush-mount, button style or decora wall plate style.

I'd prefer to hear about ones that you have tried and found they work, and preferably one that has data showing it matches the resitance curve of the Honeywell sensors.
Thanks!

Advertisement

garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
Can anyone tell me what wall mount temperature sensors will work with Honeywell thermostats, specifically the Visionpro IAQ? I'd prefer something that is a flush-mount, button style or decora wall plate style.

I'd prefer to hear about ones that you have tried and found they work, and preferably one that has data showing it matches the resitance curve of the Honeywell sensors.
Thanks!
I own same thermostat, but can't help with your question.

I see tstat has capability of averaging sensor temperatures. But How do you add sensors? I see nothing in tstat or interface manuals that mentions an additional sensor. I do see connections for outdoor sensor and alongside that terminal marked IN - is that where sensor would connect?

The room where our tstat is sometimes gets the sun and is warmer than rest of house. We were going to relocate tstat, but if we can just add a sensor, that would be a lot easier.

ADDED LATER: I found a more detailed manual on-line that shows where connections are made. The sensor model is C7189U1005 and costs about $60.00 (But less than half of that on-line). This is a hard wired sensor. What would really help us, would be a wireless sensor. Routing the wires is a bit of a pain and limits location.

Advertisement

Last edited by lakeresident; 11-26-2011 at 09:50 AM.
lakeresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeresident View Post
I own same thermostat, but can't help with your question.

I see tstat has capability of averaging sensor temperatures. But How do you add sensors? I see nothing in tstat or interface manuals that mentions an additional sensor. I do see connections for outdoor sensor and alongside that terminal marked IN - is that where sensor would connect?

The room where our tstat is sometimes gets the sun and is warmer than rest of house. We were going to relocate tstat, but if we can just add a sensor, that would be a lot easier.

ADDED LATER: I found a more detailed manual on-line that shows where connections are made. The sensor model is C7189U1005 and costs about $60.00. This is a hard wired sensor. What would really help us, would be a wireless sensor. Routing the wires is a bit of a pain and limits location.
Yes, I have the C7189 but I'm looking for one that is a little less conspicuous. At the location I have in mind for it, the thing sort of sticks out like.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Well, I've checked an Aprilaire sensor. Though it is a 10K NTC sensor, the resistance curve is not the same as as the Honeywell sensor. It's the same at room temoerature, but would be off a little at say, 60F or 80F. I'm sure it would work, but I'm picky about details like that, so I'll just use the HW sensor.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Well, I've checked an Aprilaire sensor. Though it is a 10K NTC sensor, the resistance curve is not the same as as the Honeywell sensor. It's the same at room temoerature, but would be off a little at say, 60F or 80F. I'm sure it would work, but I'm picky about details like that, so I'll just use the HW sensor.
I ordered the HW sensor. I couldn't find one locally, so ordered from US on-line source - About $22.00 but shipping doubles that

Our thermostat is in a sunny room, so rest of house is cold on sunny days! I will put the sensor in hallway not affected by sun and use that for control.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
I ordered the HW sensor. I couldn't find one locally, so ordered from US on-line source - About $22.00 but shipping doubles that

Our thermostat is in a sunny room, so rest of house is cold on sunny days! I will put the sensor in hallway not affected by sun and use that for control.
I know you already ordered, but this place is great for Honeywell hardware:
www.cleanairsystemsinc.net

Really good prices and customer service. I've gotten a few things from them.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
I know you already ordered, but this place is great for Honeywell hardware:
www.cleanairsystemsinc.net

Really good prices and customer service. I've gotten a few things from them.
I ordered from www.patriot-supply.com - Found the unit in an eBay buyitnow auction. They shipped the day they received the order by USPS Priority Mail International and followed up with expected date of arrival etc. So far impressed. Price was better than cleanair. Most on-line sellers want to ship by UPS, who are very bad for cross-border shipments - many additional charges.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
I ordered from www.patriot-supply.com - Found the unit in an eBay buyitnow auction. They shipped the day they received the order by USPS Priority Mail International and followed up with expected date of arrival etc. So far impressed. Price was better than cleanair. Most on-line sellers want to ship by UPS, who are very bad for cross-border shipments - many additional charges.
I've bought stuff from Patriot Supply as well (one order just last week actually). They're good.

Advertisement