DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Very Little Heat From Boiler

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Hi all, hoping for some help

I have a Weil McLain CGM Boiler Series 9. It is a 2 zone and is about 22 years old. The problem I am having is that there is very little heat coming out of my baseboard units.

On the pressure guage it is reading 15psi and the temp is 220.

Complete noob so any and all help is much appreciated

Thanks
Dennis

#5 · (Edited)
Each zone has a circulator pump correct?

If this is correct, then it is really hot to the touch. I don't think it is working because I don't feel it vibrating. Also the copper pipe coming out of it is cool to the touch.

The temp did go down to about 160 earlier and is now up to 180

Also it is a split with the 2nd zone in the finished half of the basement

OK when it fires it drops to 160 but when idle it climbs to 220

#6 · (Edited)
If the pipes are cold you found your problem. Those pipes should be HOT. Something is going on with circualtor pumps. Time to call your furnace man.

Point being this. The water temp. you said 160 should be going through those pipes. HOT. Burn yourself touching those pipes. Its not circulator is the problem.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replys, much appreciated. The pipes are not cold all the time. Right now this zone pipe is warm to hot. Earlier is was barely warm

So will replacing this solve the temp problem? And should I shut it down until I replace it?

I replaced this circulator pump about 5 years ago. The other one on the 2nd zone is the original one

#8 ·
I'd like to confirm..
Do you have two separate pumps or one? You can use the handle of a screwdriver against your ear and place the other end on a pump to listen like it's a stethascope. Are both making their own noice.
Do any of your baseboards work?
Do you have bleed valves on the ends of the baseboards that allow you to bleed off excess air?

#9 ·
ooppps
Just saw the last post mentioning the two pumps. It would be unusual to have both pumps fail at the same time, which was why I was asking if any of the baseboards were heating. If bleeding the baseboards doesn't correct the problem then your back to looking at why the pumps are not doing there jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.