Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Very Cool Air Coming out of Air Blower Unit?

I have a 4-ton Lennox XC14. It is 4 years old. I live in Oklahoma City in a house I purchased Feb 2011. Last year, even during the extreme heat, the unit kept my 2000 sqft house nice and cool from 72-74 degrees.

This summer it's not going below 77-78 in the peak heat hours, which is strange since nothing has changed in the house or with the unit since last year.

I had to call my a/c guy when we weren't getting any cold air and he replaced the capacitor. A few days later, it was still hot and I noticed that the condenser coils had a "blanket" of lint from the dryer vent on all four sides of the unit. I cleaned that off and still not cool.

I called again and he said I needed bigger return ducts. 16" instead of 10".

Today I noticed when I opened the closet door where the air blower unit is located that there is very cool air coming out of the unit.

Is that normal??

ltanner9416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,678

Air leaks at the air handler is common. They should have been sealed, but that is not causing your cooling problem. Your also using the wrong A/C guy, he should have spotted the logged condenser coil.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Ah, okay. When I opened the door and all that cool air came out, I thought that might be it. The air is pouring out of a PVC pipe coming out of the bottom of the housing.

And, I have thought about calling someone else and getting a second opinion. At my previous house the unit was 15 years old; maintained by the guys that installed it and never any issues, so this is really frustrating.

Plus I'm afraid that the unit will wear itself out running most of the day. It will only cool to about 72-73 at night, which worries me even more because it is getting down to about 80 at night and that only 7 or 8 degrees from the outside temp.

I did also notice that both copper pipes coming out of the blower housing are warm and I've read in other posts that one of those needs to be cold....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,172

agree with beenthere wrong guy...what was the pressures and tempetures of your system before and after he performed his work...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

did you always clean the lint off the condenser relocated that vent somehow.just because you brushed the fins the rest of the coil might be blocked with lint.check the thin copper line out of the condenser sould be slightly warm on a hot day on a clean condenser.super hot the condenser isn't dumping the heat out.shut it down remove the top and hose out from inside out..easy on the hose might bend the fins.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
agree with beenthere wrong guy...what was the pressures and tempetures of your system before and after he performed his work...
Looks like he did not fill in the paperwork I have...the fields are blank for those numbers.

The 2nd guy who came out, Adam, said that the unit was overcharged so he removed freon...and he said the pressure and temps looked good. The first guy who came out, Mike, said the pressure and temps looked good and he ADDED freon. Mike is also the guy who did not check the condenser coil.

He did say the air coming out of the vents had dropped 2 degrees compared to when he first checked it. And I remember he said the air flow was lower than normal, which was why he recommended bigger return ducts.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
did you always clean the lint off the condenser relocated that vent somehow.just because you brushed the fins the rest of the coil might be blocked with lint.check the thin copper line out of the condenser sould be slightly warm on a hot day on a clean condenser.super hot the condenser isn't dumping the heat out.shut it down remove the top and hose out from inside out..easy on the hose might bend the fins.

That was the first time I had checked the condenser since I moved into this house (Fed 2011). I did remove the top and hosed down the condenser. I put a stocking over the vent (a trick from my dad) to catch the lint from the vent. The thin copper line out of the condenser is neither hot nor cold right now. It's 8 AM and 80 degrees outside.

This unit is on the West side of the house getting hit by the sun for about 4 hours in the PM. Not sure if that is a factor.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

everything you just mentioned sounds like a dirty condenser coil/evaporator coil. If the unit is dirty, the pressures will climb. Sounds like neither one of your guys know what they are doing. Start by cleaning both coils, verify your airflow and then set the charge.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

In many cases (if not most) flushing the condenser with clear water is not sufficient to clean out the coil properly. You need a chemical specially designed to clean condensers - get that at your local HVAC supply house.

After that, you'll have to determine if the system is running correctly, is properly charged, etc etc. Does the evap need cleaning, for example? If so, in many cases this is beyond the skills of a DIYer and should be handled by a professional.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcd9999 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Its not possible to tell if a unit is correctly charged when either of the coils are dirty. So neither of the guys that were at your place, knew how to check a system properly.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #11

I have another question. I have two PVC pipes coming out of the inside unit. The pipe on the right is the condensate and runs under the slab to the outside. The one on the left is about 8" long has (maybe) a floater at the end, and also has a vertical "T" in the center that is open and air is coming out of it.

What is the function of the pipe on the left with the air coming out of it?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Secondary drain. in case the primary clogs shut.

Tags
a/c, air handler