DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Verifying a cracked heat exchanger

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  yuri 
#1 ·
Had our furnace serviced today, and the tech said it has hairline cracks in the heat exchanger. He said they are not big enough to have to shut it down today, but within a year they could be. He recommends a new furnace. The current one is a 1999 Payne. Do you have any recommendations of who I could bring in to verify that the cracks are actually there (someone who doesn't have an interest in selling me a new furnace)? Does it seem logical that a unit that is only 10 years old would have this problem already?

#2 ·
Some units don't make 5 years before they crack or burn through.

Failed heat exchangers. Are generally caused by problems not related to manufacturer defects.

After you get a confirmation that it is cracked.

A. Ask what caused it.
Any company that says it just happens, don't use for replacing it.
Get one that will find and correct problem.

B. If you get another Payne. You can take the heat exchanger credit(yours is still under warranty)and apply it towards a new furnace.

C. Consider getting a higher efficiency model. One that allows you to take advantage of the new tax CREDITS.

30% of cost, up to a max of $1500.00.

#4 ·
Ask how the tech how he found the hairline crack and repost that info. Many HVAC techs work for companies that will want to sell you another unit so you just have to take your chances. But it really is something you need to resolve. In the meantime get a good CO detector and place it within proximity (not in the air stream) of one of your registers. This is a good precaution anyway.

There are many factors that could cause a premature heat exchanger failure. Bad install is one. So its important to determine the cause so you won't have to go down this road again.

What been said on a new unit is good advice.

#5 ·
The tech said he checked by feel and with a mirror, and around the dimples ("left front edge") he found two areas of concern. One he could feel had a slight edge like if you had a piece of paper laying on a tabletop, and you ran your finger over it. He said it was small, less than 3/4". Then he took a mirror and put it behind the crack so he could look at it. The other one he said he could see but not feel yet.

He said the unit was appropriately sized for the house. They did not install it. We are terrible at changing the filter, and he didn't come right out and say that was the cause, maybe because I asked him not to lecture about changing the filter when he arrived. But I'm thinking that is likely the cause....

Who would I call to get an unbiased second opinion? If I call another HVAC company, they may say the same thing hoping to get the new install job too?

Thanks for your help.

#6 ·
Call another HVAC company and tell them you want a second opinion.
And that you are going to change it if it is bad.
And your Uncle Harry that lives in (some other state) will come and do it on a weekend for you. If you need a new furnace.

#7 ·
Those Paynes are bad for cracking if overheated. A tech can remove the limit control and look in and you can see them or remove the blower/lie on back and look inside. The Carriers had a 10 yr warranty on the exchanger/cells so it may be covered (the part) and not labor. Depends on how it was marketed in your area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.