Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

vents lowing cold air but not cooling house- advice?

Hi, I have a 2 1/2 ton unit on a 1200 sf single story house. It is old (over 8 years). The duct work is under the house in a crawl space and is not in the best shape. The intake temp (temp of the air in the house) is around 80 degrees. The air coming out of the vents is reading 57 on one of those auto ac thermometers. The unit will blow for hours and maybe get the house down to about 77 degrees or so at best, and if its hot outside it wont turn off and just goes and goes without getting any cooler. Should this air temp coming from the vents be cool enough to get the house temp down more? Could this all be due to a problem with poor duct work or poor insulation? thanks so much for any advice as summer is coming and its only going to get worse!
thanks

scratchbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

vents lowing cold air but not cooling house- advice?

I had the opposite problem with winter cold in an upstairs bedroom. It came down to LACK OF CIRCULATION AND THE REMEDY WAS TO INCREASE AIR RETURN SPACE which was not in that room.
You might want to start by checking your furnace filter and then simply testing the intake at your cold air returns to see if they can suck air in , say a small scrap of paper. Then post a bit more info or photos as to the condition of the ducting you are describing as being in poor shape and insulation level in the attic, your location, etc.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote