I have a ventless heater that flickers with some orange flame when it burns. The gas company came out, checked for leaks, and said the unit was not producing measurable amounts of carbon monoxide. ( I have a detector plugged in the wall too ). The gas company cleared it as a-ok to use, and found no leaks elsewhere in the house. Our issue is that using the ventless heater gives off a mild odor, which I believe that relates to the flickering orange flames... I blew out the burner with a small air compressor, and wiped all surface dirt/soot away with a damp cloth in the unit & from the burner.
In reading the product manuals they say orange flames can be dust/dirt in the air. So I vacuumed the room and sure enough the orange flames became much more pronounced. Not sure if that is a great test but it might imply the air in the room is dirty since vacuuming made it worse.(?) The room doesn't strike me as dusty... It's not an oxygen thing because I get the flickering orange whether the heater is on for a few minutes after days of no use, or a couple hours straight. Also i have no yellow flames or flickering which are the real bad flames most attributed to produce carbon monoxide. Can I do some sort of DIY test for particulate in my basement air? Any other ideas of things to check for? I'm ready to junk this heater or relegate it to my garage.
As long as the flames are orange & not yellow don't worry about it. As the flames burn, air from the room is being drawn into the air shudder for combustion . There are dust particles in this room air & there is dust & other particles in the gas. This will cause the orange flames