Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Share |

Ventless Gas Fireplace? OK?

I REALLY want to put a gas fireplace in our new house, but it would have to be a ventless. My sister has one and has never had a problem, but has heard people complain about carbon monixoide (sp?) or fear of? Any Opinions? Thanks!

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #2

IMHO, not a good idea. It burns the oxygen in the room, emits CO2 if properly adjusted, CO if not. Many localities don't allow them, but they seem to be available. If natural gas, a bad idea, if propane, dangerous.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

We had one in our house for 5 years and never had a problem. The only complaint I had was it got the room real warm real quick. The wife, however, loved that.
Ventless combustion goes against everything I ever knew, but with a quality unit equipped with the proper safety sensors you should be good to go.

CrashBob
CrashBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

I've serviced literally thousands of vent-free gas fireplaces. If they are properly maintained and manufacturer's directions are followed, they will be a good addition. Check your local codes before installing.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #5

I had a vent less with propane we used it a couple years then got rid of it.

It always had an odor to it and sometimes it would shut off by itself which is good because it was sensing Carbon M. I don't know why, it burned good and heated the place good plus the ambiance was great. It was more trouble than it was worth since then we brought an electric one just for the ambiance which is what we wanted anyway.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
I had a vent less with propane we used it a couple years then got rid of it.

It always had an odor to it and sometimes it would shut off by itself which is good because it was sensing Carbon M. I don't know why, it burned good and heated the place good plus the ambiance was great. It was more trouble than it was worth since then we brought an electric one just for the ambiance which is what we wanted anyway.
Your gas fireplace was probably shutting off NOT because it was sensing carbon monoxide, it was shutting off because they require servicing at least once a year......it states that right in the owner's manual. You may have been getting low levels of carbon monoxide due to lint and/or pet fur in places where they shouldn't be. That falls under improper maintenance. Also, the odors could also be due to lack of proper servicing or could be from the type of material the logs are made of. The less expensive logs are made from ceramic fiber and are VERY prone to odors. Propane adds it's own "flavor" to the odor issues too.

Vent-free gas fireplaces get a bad reputation because some people do not follow the directions !!! Vent-free gas logs are NOT a DIY project !! If installed or operated improperly, they can give you soot, odors and carbon monoxide. If you follow the directions, they can be a great addition to ones home.

Sorry to sound like I'm coming down on you hard, but I get annoyed when people bash vent-frees because the gas logs are not used as designed.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You talking about an unvented fireplace or a "direct vent" system? There is a big difference in the performance and safety.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Jack of all - master none

I have a ventless blue-flame heater in my garage. When I put the fireplace in my basement, it will be direct-vent for sure. Aside from the air-quality concerns with a ventless system, I don't like the moisture output. Water vapor is a by-product of burning natural gas. When you aren't venting the by-products, you put a lot of moisture into the room. This might not always be a problem, but I don't like the windows being drippy (from water vapor condensing on the cold glass).

Ventless is cheaper, but I think a direct-vent is superior. Are you in an interior room that you have nowhere to vent? Some/most can go straight out the wall, and don't need a chimney.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by log_doc_rob View Post
Your gas fireplace was probably shutting off NOT because it was sensing carbon monoxide, it was shutting off because they require servicing at least once a year......it states that right in the owner's manual. You may have been getting low levels of carbon monoxide due to lint and/or pet fur in places where they shouldn't be. That falls under improper maintenance. Also, the odors could also be due to lack of proper servicing or could be from the type of material the logs are made of. The less expensive logs are made from ceramic fiber and are VERY prone to odors. Propane adds it's own "flavor" to the odor issues too.

Vent-free gas fireplaces get a bad reputation because some people do not follow the directions !!! Vent-free gas logs are NOT a DIY project !! If installed or operated improperly, they can give you soot, odors and carbon monoxide. If you follow the directions, they can be a great addition to ones home.

Sorry to sound like I'm coming down on you hard, but I get annoyed when people bash vent-frees because the gas logs are not used as designed.
"Been around gas products 40 years or so, installed heaters propane and nat gas, also been camping the same amount of time where every thing is propane, I know what to look for and how to clean all gas equipment, the vent less fireplace sucked even when it was new and adjusted properly. Just sayin". Vented is the way to go without a doubt, the product combustion has to go somewhere, Oh I know in people's lungs. Just sayin. By the way you are coming down hard and why be annoyed when you have no idea I did not use it as designed.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Wire Chewer

Maybe if you plant a couple trees in the house or have tons of plants, you might be ok, but I would not do it. Sure when we breathe we also produce CO2, but it's a small enough amount that routine opening of doors and general ventilation is ok. A fireplace that's running on/off around the clock? I would be weary of producing that much CO2 in the house.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Maybe if you plant a couple trees in the house or have tons of plants, you might be ok, but I would not do it. Sure when we breathe we also produce CO2, but it's a small enough amount that routine opening of doors and general ventilation is ok. A fireplace that's running on/off around the clock? I would be weary of producing that much CO2 in the house.
There are many things that release CO.....humans, cow farts, sodas and hang onto your hat, plants !!!! Plants release CO at night.

Vent-free fireplaces are not designed to be a primary source of heat. That goes back to not being operated properly as stated on the owner's manual. There are some places where vent-frees are not a good idea, like places where the homes that do not breathe.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
"Been around gas products 40 years or so, installed heaters propane and nat gas, also been camping the same amount of time where every thing is propane, I know what to look for and how to clean all gas equipment, the vent less fireplace sucked even when it was new and adjusted properly. Just sayin". Vented is the way to go without a doubt, the product combustion has to go somewhere, Oh I know in people's lungs. Just sayin. By the way you are coming down hard and why be annoyed when you have no idea I did not use it as designed.
"Being around gas products for 40 years" does not qualify you to service gas fireplaces unless you have taken formal training specifically designed for the gas fireplace industry. Giving out bad information or repair advice on gas fireplaces can open yourself to law suits and get someone injured or killed. I own a gas fireplace repair company, and service and repair on gas fireplaces is all that we do.....we don't work on water heaters, furnaces or pool heaters. I understand the theory behind those appliances and could probably repair those too, but am not properly trained on those devices and leave those to properly trained individuals.

Quote:
By the way you are coming down hard and why be annoyed when you have no idea I did not use it as designed.
You stated "I had a vent less with propane we used it a couple years then got rid of it." If you did not have it properly serviced annually by a qualified professional, you did not follow the directions and thus did not operate it as designed.

When uninformed people post information that is just plain wrong, it first gives them wrong information and second, it can scare consumers and harm the industry. Gas fireplaces are not a DIY system, you may repair it yourself, you may try to repair it yourself and kill your family....THAT'S why I am a little harsh.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Carbon Monoxide/CO and Carbon Dioxide/CO2 are not the same things.

Trees wouldn't help you any against CO from a ventless fireplace or gas stove.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote