Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #1

Share |

Venting Heater in Garage

I am in the process of installing a heater in my detached two car garage. The garage is a relatively new building and is constructed of concrete block walls with a roof of wooden trusses, asphalt shingles and no interior ceiling. The heater is gas fired and hangs from the ceiling and has a fan on the back to blow air through the heat exchanger. I've hung the heater from the ceiling, run the gas line and run the electric. I have two options for venting this thing. I can either go straight up through the roof, or I can go through the block wall and then up. Personally, I'm inclined to go through the block wall. That way I don't have to disturb the roof. Some people have suggested that going through the roof is the better option. What does everybody here think? And if I do vent through the roof, how do I do it?

Frank Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #2

Venting Heater in Garage

Roof is better because you can buy a flasing that directs rain and snow from around the B-Vent penetration.

Vent as far from the main building as you can. The rrequirement are for the flue to terminate above your garage peak.

This may be inparactical for your situation so check your venting tables and call the factory if you have a problem.