Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

Venting for Gas Fireplace Insert?

Hi All,

I'd like to install a gas fireplace insert into a traditional fireplace. The gas line looks like a no-brainer if I use the gas flex gas line so I plan to do that.

But here's the question - How should I run the venting up (or down) the existing chimney?

I can't seem to find any installation know how on how to run the vent or vents. I have a very narrow damper control, but in casual chatting with a friend one day he said to use TWO 3" flexible duct vents - one for intake, one for combustion.

That sounds like the perfect solution since my damper opening is about 4" wide.

Here's what I'm hoping. Once I get the insert I expect it will have a standard direct vent connector. On that connector get an adapter that converts to the two 3" flexible vents. Then simply run them up the chimney and either convert them back to a standard direct vent or two separate where they exit the top of the chimney.

(The more I write this, the more I realize I have no idea what I'm talking about. I may not be using "direct vent" properly.

Anyway, I think this should be pretty straight forward, but just need to know what vent products and adapters I need to use.

Your worldly advice appreciated.

MikeinBurien

MikeinBurien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

You REALLY need to follow the manufacturers instructions CAREFULLY and EXACTLY. If anything is done wrong you can produce CO from poor combustion, have it get all sooted up, have never ending problems with the pilot light going out etc etc. I would recommend getting a Professional to do it as it may look easy but it is difficult to make work properly. You should also take out a permit with the gas co for current/future liability issues and the insurance company.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #3

Certain models of gas inserts have a plate on the top that removes. The two 3" flex vents drops down through the chimney and connect to that. When you are ready to slide the insert in you just start the plate sliding back into the insert and lock it in place. The vents on the top are connected to a plate that gets cut and bent over the existing flue tile. Hope this helps.
ausblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
You REALLY need to follow the manufacturers instructions CAREFULLY and EXACTLY. If anything is done wrong you can produce CO from poor combustion, have it get all sooted up, have never ending problems with the pilot light going out etc etc. I would recommend getting a Professional to do it as it may look easy but it is difficult to make work properly. You should also take out a permit with the gas co for current/future liability issues and the insurance company.
I agree with Yuri, call a pro. You can buy the insert, vent pipe and gas line, but get one little thing wrong and you will pay 2x more getting it repaired than if you had paid the pro in the first place. I charge double if the homeowner has attempted to fix his own problems because I not only have to figure out what he has done, then I get to track down the real cause of the problem.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #5

How you been Rob?

Okay threadjack over.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausblake View Post
How you been Rob?

Okay threadjack over.

I've been as busy as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs since the remnants of the hurricane came thru here and stalled over the area. Lots of flooding and flooded fireplaces that require my attention.

Hope all is well in Tenn.

Threadjack part dux.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Busy as a one armed wallpaper hanger. LOL

Not as busy as these guys I bet.
Wonder how long it takes to cleanup after that flood?
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #8

I am the same man. Busy as heck. I see my family on average about 1 hour a day during the week. I won't complain though because it keeps the bills paid.