Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Venting Garage Heater

Hi!

I'm interested in purchasing a garage heater. I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm thinking of a Reznor or a maybe a hot dawg. I have to vent it horizontally out the wall, since there's a bedroom right above the garage and no way to the roof.

On the plus side, there's nothing outside on that side of a house. The soffit is a full ~12 feet from where I'll be venting, and there's no windows or doors anywhere around it.

Now onto my question. How do you properly vent this? I've read a number of things about "cat 3" venting and "type b" venting. My wall is built like this...

outside -> brick veneer -> housewrap -> foam insulation -> plywood -> interior garage.

Do I just drill a 4" hole, put a thimble, then run the vent pipe through it? What protects the area around the hole from getting too hot and igniting the material around the vent? Is this the job of the thimble? Do you put the vent pipe through the thimble, so it's almost like a double pipe in that area? Is there a good web page out there that can guide me?

I'm really handy, but I just want to make sure I do this correct. Thanks for any help and guidance!!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Venting Garage Heater

There's always a way to the roof. From my experience, it's pretty easy to build a chase inside of the closet, or even beside the closet, to run the b-vent through to get out the roof.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Venting Garage Heater

A Hot Dawg heater can be classified as a Type I or type III depending how you run the horizontal vent. B vent is not approved for type III appliances. Type III is a positive pressure vent/flue.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

Venting Garage Heater

Thanks for the responses.

There is always a way up, but it's not going to happen. I'd have to go through a floor, ceiling, then roof. Plus, I'm scared of heights and won't get up on my roof. It's probably about 40 or so feet high and I'd freak.

There is an exterior wall that I'd like to go through. I still am doing research on this and how to accomplish it.
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Venting Garage Heater

Th full venting instructions are in the install manual.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote