Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Ventilation wall grille battered by wind

:confused:Please help! I have a problem with wind! (no not that kind). I've installed a new extraction fan to the existing ducting travellling from the bathroom wall to the exterior wall of the property, i also fitted a internal backdraught into the ducting, we had a exterior flapped grille which was broken so replaced that with a hooded flapped grille. The grille is located on the gable end of the house and above the drive way, to the rear of the house is fields, the wind travelling across the fields can be strong, somedays it a struggle to shut the back door. Don't get me wrong, i love here but the constant banging of the exterior grille flap is driving me mad. I turned the hooded grille upside down and refitted, this allowed the flap to open alittle to extract air but it then fills with rain and it didnt cure the banging. I'm no weather expert but i'm amazed how the wind seems to be able to lift the flap, i thought a hooded cowl(grille) would have cured that but the wind seems to blow in and upwards (strange). If theres anyone out there whose experienced the same problem and can advise me as to what to try next, that would be great.
Nina.

imported_nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Flap and dampeners can be noisy.:o It's just not the wind itself it is pressure difference that is caused. This is how it can get up and around. There are many things attempted to try making these quite in such conditions. I don't necessarily recommend it but I have seen them moved into the attic.:confused: Even with that noise could still be heard. The vent flap do there job and that is to stop air from coming in. but as air pressures fluctuate they will let air out even without the fan on and the changes will make the door make noise. I have found the smaller louvered multi flap style doors all though cheap looking and somewhat short lived (smaller brittle plastic parts) are the quietest of vent door that I have used. There parts are light wight and plastic so as not to be as loud. They still open and close but it is normally not as obvious indoors as the metal flaps. I have seen in a commercial application a eltro-magnetic flap that was wired to the blower to only open when the unit was in use. I believe there is a patent but have not seen in production for residential use. Another thought is if use could make a rubber or similar softer material for a door seal so when it flaps onto it would reduce the noise with a somewhat cushioned seal. Good luck hope I gave some ideas. Maybe we will get more ideas from others. Let us know how it goes

Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the good ideas Matt, i wasnt expecting a reply so soon so well pleased.
I've been researching wind direction online and now understand why it travels in the directions it does, with this in mind i found a nine inch Dri-Cowl air brick cover (www.dri-sil.co.uk) which may.just work.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again. Nina.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

As i'm sitting here reading this artical I can hear my bathroom exhaust fan cover banging. lol Thanks for the web site.
imported_harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #5

Just like to say the dri-cowl cover worked a treat, it fitted neatly over the exterior grille without inhibiting its use.
Nina.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the tip.Happy holidays everybody

imported_harryo is offline   Reply With Quote