Ventilating Bathrooms, Different Floors, Available Shaft - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Ventilating bathrooms, different floors, available shaft

In removing our old boiler system, I now have a 2x2 shaft that runs from my basement bathroom, adjacent to my upstairs bathroom, through the attic, and ends with a sort of fake chimney on the roof. The basement bathroom has no vent and the upstairs bathroom vent just dead-ends in the attic. Is this shaft useful for either one of those efforts or do I need to go more lateral for both - and, if not, anything useful and fire-code friendly that we can do with this shaft?

We're in the mid-Atlantic, if that's relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Ventilating bathrooms, different floors, available shaft-image-917095313.jpg  

Advertisement

corsulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Get a central venting fan. Ducts will run from those rooms that you wish to exhaust up that stack. To the fan unit. As for that chimney. It does not appear that there is a cap on it. You may have to special order, or have a local metal shop fabricate one to keep the rain and critters out of there.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 29

Thank you-

It's capped - it just looks open in the image. The "chimney" is really mostly-rotted plywood with a fake brick material around it and a metal cap. Years ago, we wrapped it in aluminum for strength/leak-proofing. I'd like to replace it though if there's no real reason to have a four-foot white pillar on our roof.
corsulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

You could shorten the duct and have just a vent cap, poking out of the roof. Versus the chimney. I would take it down below the roof deck, and then leave enough of the vent pipe to allow you to place the vent in the patched up section.

The question is. Do you have Shingles to patch the area? If you have a local ABC warehouse. A local roofer can get the materials needed for the vent and repair. The multi-room duct. You can order online usually cheaper then getting at a big-box store.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote