Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Vent in garage

I'd like to add a vent from the house to the attached garage to make the garage more comfortable in the winters (I'm in the Kansas City area). My garage is 26' x 30' (3 car with an extra 4' length) and is insulated (marginally with insulation in the walls and styrofoam insulation in the garge doors. My thought is to attach an insulated run to a manual damper I'll add to the main trunk so I can close the damper in the summer. How will this affect the heating efficiency of the rest of the house? What other issues should I consider before doing this?
sqlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #2

Vent in garage

You will lose some air that is currently going to your house and will now go to your garage. It may result in your unit running slightly longer between cycles to satisfy the existing room thermostat. You will be trying to heat a space that has minimum insulation, so it will lose more heat than the same size room inside your house. I would put the manual damper close to the takeoff from the existing duct and make it easily accessible so that I could open it only when I wanted heat there, and close it the rest of the time. Get a damper that seals tightly when closed. Locate the new register near where you desire the heat also. Insulate and tightly seal the new duct!
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Mechanical Engineer

Vent in garage

A few issue I could see would be:

1. High heat loss and loss of return air from the garage
2. Possible CO infiltration and other stink from the garage into ductwork.
3. Cycle times as noted above.

Have you considered installing a garage heater?

I have a 75,000 BTU Modine Hot Dawg in my 30x46 attached garage.

comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote