Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vaulted ceiling no attic fans

Hello all.

I have a strange construction situation.

I need to add a house fan and a bath fan(or just the bath?). I am adding 600 sqft to my home with a full bath.

The strange part is, the ceiling is 2x6 T&G, 3 inches of solid foam boards, 1/2" ply, felt, metal roof. As you can see, there is no attic to vent to. This means the fan vents must vent straight up and out. In addition, the 2x6 T&G is the support for the ceiling (I have beams every 4').

If I cut through an entire 2x6, the ends will not be supported except by the T&G. This leaves me wanting vents no larger than 4"

Any ideas of bathroom fan and/or house vent fan? Remember that the fans will be either surface mounted and must look good, or placed ontop of the roof.

Thanks

joeljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Vaulted ceiling no attic fans

Install wall mounted fan in bathroom or wherever else you would like to exhaust air. You may be able to match color OR just paint them with same color as interior wall OR build partial bulkhead over the fan(s) with same materials and color of interior wall leaving air opening and means of access for servicing. Faux cupboard or similar? Of course then you would be venting out side wall and not compromising the roof at all. Personally I would leave the roof structure alone.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote