Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Vanguard ventless fireplace

3 years ago my sister-in law had a Vanguard ventless gas fireplace-model # VTGF33NRB (purchased from UGI-Scranton, PA) installed in her home. It worked well for two heating seasons. This year, however, it sometimes will not fire up or is slow to fire. When it does, it will not stay lit. She has had several people in to service it (UGI included). Everyone has cleaned it, but cannot isolate the problem. The first guy that came to repair it took the manual with him and has not returned it or any phone calls. I have an electrical background, but am not real comfortable working with gas. My thoughts are that it has something to do with a thermal cut-out in the control circuit, but without the schematic, I am unsure what to do. Anyone have any thoughts, or know where I might find the owner's manual on-line? Every site I tried lead to DESA who is out of business, and their on-line pages do not open. Any advise will be much appreciated as we are experiencing an early onset of winter this year. It has been snowing all day.

ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 AM   #2

Call a gas fireplace professional, there is an obvious problem and you may have other issues due to the fact that several others have "tinkered" with it without knowing what they were doing.

log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
REP

A couple of thoughts on this.
First I personally do NOT like ventless fire places because you use room oxegen to support the fire and toxic gases replace that oxegen via burnt gas fumes.
This is why you are instructed to open a close by window when operating it.This makes it useless for a little added warmth.
I have installed vented fireplace incerts and have refused to sell or install the ventless.I don't care what you say,I like to sleep at night!
If she wants a little extra warmth then get an electric heater.You can get big ones like the ones advertised on TV or small ones that set on top of the fake fireplace mantle.Just remember 1500 watts is 1500watts no matter what it looks like.They all give you the same amount of heat.
If you don't care for that reccommondation then I refer you back to LOG DOC.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
ludlow (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #4

You must be very careful when selecting any gas fireplace help. You need someone that specializes in gas fireplaces to service and advise you. There are many unqualified to work on gas fireplaces like Plumbers, HVAC and handymen that attempt to install and repair these appliances. One must also be careful when asking your local gas company for advice. The gas company is very good at gas delivery, that's their job, but they may not be well versed in the service and repair of gas fireplaces......I am not saying that ALL are bad. When looking for a gas fireplace professional, look for one that is NFI certified.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to log_doc_rob For This Useful Post:
ludlow (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #5

Here is your manual back, you might read the cleaning and maint. section and try to do or call the Tech support number below, maybe they can give you names of qualified service people in our area.

http://www.desatech.com/manuals/Fire...113134-01G.PDF

DESA Heating Products’ Technical Service Department at 1-866-672-6040. When calling please have your model and serial numbers of your heater ready.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Unfortunately, the link opens to a blank page. Tried it on several computers at different locations. The phone is an outgoing message only and simply refers the caller to www.desa.com. The link to service centers offers no info, just tells you to find a local technician. The links to manuals by part number also opens to a blank page. Note at the bottom of the website says the filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and are out of business.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #7

link works fine here.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Link worked fine for me.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #9

Many thanks to all. Got the page to open from yet another computer. Thanks to all for your help.