Vacuum Pump Oil In Gage Set Lines - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

vacuum pump oil in gage set lines

after evacuating a mini split system the gauge set lines seemed to be full of vacuum pump oil. On a r-410 system is this something that would be a system killer or just reduce the system efficiency a little if some vacuum pump oil got in the AC system? The pump has a check valve and to my knowledge was not unplugged. The electronic vacuum gauge was showing 140 microns when I closed things off. I did not notice the oil until I had opened the valves on the unit so I can not "check" the lines to see if there is oil. Choices are recover the charge, clean and start over or run it. I do not have the recovery tools or access to refrigerant so not an easy thing to be cautious. The system might be dry or it might have several ounces of vacuum pump oil in the lines.

Advertisement

Last edited by CMatHome; 06-11-2011 at 03:02 AM.
CMatHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 760

If you had a vacuum in the lines and then opened the service valves the large pressure of the freon inside the condensor would fill your hoses and pressurize them and the oil in them. The only way it should/could get in the system is if you added some more freon to the lines as the flow would be into the system. Nothing you can do about it now as it may mix with the compressor oil. If it is too thick the capillary lines will plug and it won't cool properly so you should notice that.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

did you lose the oil level in the pump itself if not it's no big deal
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
If you had a vacuum in the lines and then opened the service valves the large pressure of the freon inside the condensor would fill your hoses and pressurize them and the oil in them. The only way it should/could get in the system is if you added some more freon to the lines as the flow would be into the system. Nothing you can do about it now as it may mix with the compressor oil. If it is too thick the capillary lines will plug and it won't cool properly so you should notice that.
The gauge set has a valve on the end, it was closed when I opened the service ports.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
did you lose the oil level in the pump itself if not it's no big deal
The lines were full of oil. The pump level was down a little but still within the operational range.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatHome View Post
The gauge set has a valve on the end, it was closed when I opened the service ports.
You should be okay then. Apparently you are not supposed to go below 500 microns on an open system or it can damage the compressor. I watch the microns carefully and shut down the valves as soon as it drops below 500 on a closed or open system. Apparently the oil starts to flash into vapor or some such a thing. Maybe Beenthere or one of the other guys has heard of this too ???

Last edited by yuri; 06-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

The vacuum was just on the lineset. So are you saying a little pump oil in the refrigeration loop might not hurt? My delima is that I don't see how it got tree in the first place so I have no idea the level of contamination if it exists.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

As yuri said there's nothing you can do about it now short of replacing the compressor and flushing the rest of the system. Might as well wait and see what happens.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

You did not introduce a positive pressure and vac pump oil into the system because the valves on your gauges were closed. The only way that oil could get into the system is if you hooked up a bottle of freon and added some to the system to compensate for the extra line set if the specs required it. That freon would take the vac pump oil with it into the system. You have no worries if you did not add freon.

Advertisement