Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

UV Lights in duct

we've been having stuffed noses almost every morning, filters always seem to be clean, could it be something else in the air? this had me thinking about having a UV system put into the furnace duct....

would it help at all?

what type would you use for a 4 ton ~1600 CFM system? single bulb, dual bulb, in return, over A coil?

If you would put it over the A coil, I'd assume you need UV rated drip pans... not sure if the one I have no is or not? anyway to tell? all I can tell is its a tan plastic pan

if its put in a return duct, far away from the filter do you want it to be? what if there is a humdistat which is plastic in the return?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #2

UV Lights in duct

Mine sits over the evap coil,American brand. Had it for many years and am convinced they work. Bulbs need replaced yearly. Lennox pans have been UV resistant since 94, assuming airflow will be the same. If the UV light directly hits wires,humidistats, humidifier plastic ect it will melt insulation and plastic.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

UV Lights in duct

Check out
http://airoasis.com/products.htm

There are a few brands, one member just turned me on to these and it is superior to what I install the rgp brand unit

Do u have a decent media cabinet? That should be done first

They need to be wired to run only with the fan on, but produce much happier customers than uv bulbs IMO
Dr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

UV Lights in duct

There is also atlantic ultraviolet. You will have to google it, can't paste addresses on mobile version of this site. They will size the lighting for you based on unit and duct sizes, as well as how much light you need for what you are trying to kill.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

UV Lights in duct

Given the velocity of air in the ducts, a UV light won't have much effect on airborne bacteria. It should reduce static mold growth on your coil, though. Place a UV light right next to the coil if you decide to install one.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

UV Lights in duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a
Given the velocity of air in the ducts, a UV light won't have much effect on airborne bacteria. It should reduce static mold growth on your coil, though. Place a UV light right next to the coil if you decide to install one.
That's why the light intensity has to be sized according to the system. If you see the set-ups that some hospitals use, you will realize that these single light systems are a waste of money.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
REP

UV Lights in duct

First I would try a media filter that has "filters that are treated for killing things that cause breathing problems .If that didn't work I might look at the UV lights.
That oneb mentioned above looks great but howe long have they been in business and will they sell enough of their product to last into the forseable future so that you can get replacement bulbs.
From what I know you can't expose plastic or other thin materials to them.To me that means putting them in the upper to mid section of the return air drop.
Good Luck

REP is offline   Reply With Quote