Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Where does this light usually go in the system? Is it installed right after the air handler in the main trunk to kill any bacteria right after the air is conditioned?

I would assume the selling point is that the moisture in the condensation can cause some mold/mildew in the air handler, which is probably very common and expected.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,042
Rewards Points: 3,748
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Above the coil, so it can prevent bacteria from growing.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Member
 
Home Air Direct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Above the coil, so it can prevent bacteria from growing.

+1 what Beenthere said

UV Lights are one of my best selling items, I ship several each week, but I also have some very personal experience with them as well.

Four out of the past five years, I have suffered extreme bronchial issues. The last two years, it manifested into full blown pneumonia in my left lung. After the last bout, I decided to do something about it. This hits me each year about mid July and had me down for over six weeks each time.

I put a BlueTube UV light above my A-Coil in my air handler and also added a 5" Trion Air Bear to my system. Last year I made it through without a problem, and so far this year all is good (knocking on wood).

When I installed the light, there was significant mold growing on the coil and insulation of the AHU. When I changed my bulb last year, it was all nice and clean

If you are planning in installing a 24 volt, just make sure that you are confident that you can locate the two 24V wires. If not, just order a 120V and wire to your home power.

Also, if you have a variable speed blower drive in your air handler or furnace, you should add an additional 24 volt transformer (usually under $12). If not you are open to power spikes from from your blower system that will prematurely roast your power supply or bulb.

Good Luck,
__________________
Settle down! If you were that important, the city would give you lights and a siren for your car
Home Air Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
+1 what Beenthere said

UV Lights are one of my best selling items, I ship several each week, but I also have some very personal experience with them as well.

Four out of the past five years, I have suffered extreme bronchial issues. The last two years, it manifested into full blown pneumonia in my left lung. After the last bout, I decided to do something about it. This hits me each year about mid July and had me down for over six weeks each time.

I put a BlueTube UV light above my A-Coil in my air handler and also added a 5" Trion Air Bear to my system. Last year I made it through without a problem, and so far this year all is good (knocking on wood).

When I installed the light, there was significant mold growing on the coil and insulation of the AHU. When I changed my bulb last year, it was all nice and clean

If you are planning in installing a 24 volt, just make sure that you are confident that you can locate the two 24V wires. If not, just order a 120V and wire to your home power.

Also, if you have a variable speed blower drive in your air handler or furnace, you should add an additional 24 volt transformer (usually under $12). If not you are open to power spikes from from your blower system that will prematurely roast your power supply or bulb.

Good Luck,
Thanks for passing along your experience.

I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but this thought about about moisture in the coils and bacteria/mold seemed like a no brainer possibility.

I'm surprised HVAC companies don't advertise more about offering to address/clean this as part of their maintenance.

How hard was it to mount the blue tube? Slab, A-coil, or perpendicular?

http://www.bluetubeuv.com/Blue-Tube_specs-web.pdf

Last edited by handy man88; 06-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Member
 
Home Air Direct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Thanks for passing along your experience.

I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but this thought about about moisture in the coils and bacteria/mold seemed like a no brainer possibility.

I'm surprised HVAC companies don't advertise more about offering to address/clean this as part of their maintenance.

How hard was it to mount the blue tube? Slab, A-coil, or perpendicular?

http://www.bluetubeuv.com/Blue-Tube_specs-web.pdf

It took me longer to find my tools than it did to mount. Maybe 30 minutes total. Here is a simple paragraph from my site that explained my install process. I would post the link, but can't as it would be self promotion.

"First I cut the power to my system. I removed the access panel of my air handler and located the 24 volt transformer. Next I wired the two power wires from the Blue-Tube power pack to the 24 Volt transformer. I decided on the best location for the light and drilled a 7/8” hole into the case of my evaporator coil. I then inserted the light into the hole, until the magnet set the lamp into place. Next, I attached the Blue-Tube power pack to the side of my air handler, placed the door back on and turned the power back on to the system……TaDa! That was it. Actually, there was one more little step. I drilled a small hole into the front of my coil and inserted the indicator lens. Ok, that was all there was to it. Maybe 30 minutes at most."

If you have an A-Coil, either position (above or below) is acceptable, but I prefer above the "A". If a Slab I would put it on the return side. With UV lights, you do need to watch that the light does not shine on coated wires, as it will deteriorate the coating. Also, some older drain pans can also be effected by UV as well. If you do have these exposures, simply covering these areas with silver tape will take care of the issue.

Good Luck
__________________
Settle down! If you were that important, the city would give you lights and a siren for your car
Home Air Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
It took me longer to find my tools than it did to mount. Maybe 30 minutes total. Here is a simple paragraph from my site that explained my install process. I would post the link, but can't as it would be self promotion.

"First I cut the power to my system. I removed the access panel of my air handler and located the 24 volt transformer. Next I wired the two power wires from the Blue-Tube power pack to the 24 Volt transformer. I decided on the best location for the light and drilled a 7/8” hole into the case of my evaporator coil. I then inserted the light into the hole, until the magnet set the lamp into place. Next, I attached the Blue-Tube power pack to the side of my air handler, placed the door back on and turned the power back on to the system……TaDa! That was it. Actually, there was one more little step. I drilled a small hole into the front of my coil and inserted the indicator lens. Ok, that was all there was to it. Maybe 30 minutes at most."

If you have an A-Coil, either position (above or below) is acceptable, but I prefer above the "A". If a Slab I would put it on the return side. With UV lights, you do need to watch that the light does not shine on coated wires, as it will deteriorate the coating. Also, some older drain pans can also be effected by UV as well. If you do have these exposures, simply covering these areas with silver tape will take care of the issue.

Good Luck
How much do they sell for and are there install instructions online (esp for the wiring)?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,801
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Don't know about this brand ( as there are many) some have /offer a kit if you are installing in duct board as oppose to metal duct
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Member
 
Home Air Direct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
How much do they sell for and are there install instructions online (esp for the wiring)?
Handyman88,

I sent you a PM.
__________________
Settle down! If you were that important, the city would give you lights and a siren for your car
Home Air Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Member
 
Home Air Direct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
How much do they sell for and are there install instructions online (esp for the wiring)?
Coil Mounted Lamps:
1 Year lamps run between $159 - $249 depending on options and power requirement.
2 Year Lamps are $259 - $289 depending on power options.

Install instructions are included with each light and we forward the same PDF in advance (but after the sale) so that HO can get prepared.
__________________
Settle down! If you were that important, the city would give you lights and a siren for your car
Home Air Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

UV Light for HVAC System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
Handyman88,

I sent you a PM.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

I did some exploring today and did find the 24V transformer.

What do you mean by "coated wires" and "older pans?" do you mean any electrical wiring inside the air handler that the UV light can reach? I did not see any wiring located near the A coil. It seems to me that I have a delrin/nylon white pan.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I use recessed light wiring for a regualr light? integrity634 Electrical 1 03-18-2009 07:29 PM
Wiring from light to switch and on poorjohn Electrical 3 03-16-2009 02:23 PM
My light fixture / socket question. Getson Electrical 13 02-25-2009 04:41 PM
Replacing light killed downstream outlets, totally stuck amissner Electrical 5 07-13-2006 07:02 AM
Size A/C system properly 70stang HVAC 1 03-26-2006 08:22 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.