Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

UV Light for HVAC System

Where does this light usually go in the system? Is it installed right after the air handler in the main trunk to kill any bacteria right after the air is conditioned?

I would assume the selling point is that the moisture in the condensation can cause some mold/mildew in the air handler, which is probably very common and expected.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,748

UV Light for HVAC System

Above the coil, so it can prevent bacteria from growing.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Above the coil, so it can prevent bacteria from growing.

+1 what Beenthere said

UV Lights are one of my best selling items, I ship several each week, but I also have some very personal experience with them as well.

Four out of the past five years, I have suffered extreme bronchial issues. The last two years, it manifested into full blown pneumonia in my left lung. After the last bout, I decided to do something about it. This hits me each year about mid July and had me down for over six weeks each time.

I put a BlueTube UV light above my A-Coil in my air handler and also added a 5" Trion Air Bear to my system. Last year I made it through without a problem, and so far this year all is good (knocking on wood).

When I installed the light, there was significant mold growing on the coil and insulation of the AHU. When I changed my bulb last year, it was all nice and clean

If you are planning in installing a 24 volt, just make sure that you are confident that you can locate the two 24V wires. If not, just order a 120V and wire to your home power.

Also, if you have a variable speed blower drive in your air handler or furnace, you should add an additional 24 volt transformer (usually under $12). If not you are open to power spikes from from your blower system that will prematurely roast your power supply or bulb.

Good Luck,
Old 06-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #4

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
+1 what Beenthere said

UV Lights are one of my best selling items, I ship several each week, but I also have some very personal experience with them as well.

Four out of the past five years, I have suffered extreme bronchial issues. The last two years, it manifested into full blown pneumonia in my left lung. After the last bout, I decided to do something about it. This hits me each year about mid July and had me down for over six weeks each time.

I put a BlueTube UV light above my A-Coil in my air handler and also added a 5" Trion Air Bear to my system. Last year I made it through without a problem, and so far this year all is good (knocking on wood).

When I installed the light, there was significant mold growing on the coil and insulation of the AHU. When I changed my bulb last year, it was all nice and clean

If you are planning in installing a 24 volt, just make sure that you are confident that you can locate the two 24V wires. If not, just order a 120V and wire to your home power.

Also, if you have a variable speed blower drive in your air handler or furnace, you should add an additional 24 volt transformer (usually under $12). If not you are open to power spikes from from your blower system that will prematurely roast your power supply or bulb.

Good Luck,
Thanks for passing along your experience.

I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but this thought about about moisture in the coils and bacteria/mold seemed like a no brainer possibility.

I'm surprised HVAC companies don't advertise more about offering to address/clean this as part of their maintenance.

How hard was it to mount the blue tube? Slab, A-coil, or perpendicular?

http://www.bluetubeuv.com/Blue-Tube_specs-web.pdf

Last edited by handy man88; 06-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #5

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Thanks for passing along your experience.

I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but this thought about about moisture in the coils and bacteria/mold seemed like a no brainer possibility.

I'm surprised HVAC companies don't advertise more about offering to address/clean this as part of their maintenance.

How hard was it to mount the blue tube? Slab, A-coil, or perpendicular?

http://www.bluetubeuv.com/Blue-Tube_specs-web.pdf

It took me longer to find my tools than it did to mount. Maybe 30 minutes total. Here is a simple paragraph from my site that explained my install process. I would post the link, but can't as it would be self promotion.

"First I cut the power to my system. I removed the access panel of my air handler and located the 24 volt transformer. Next I wired the two power wires from the Blue-Tube power pack to the 24 Volt transformer. I decided on the best location for the light and drilled a 7/8” hole into the case of my evaporator coil. I then inserted the light into the hole, until the magnet set the lamp into place. Next, I attached the Blue-Tube power pack to the side of my air handler, placed the door back on and turned the power back on to the system……TaDa! That was it. Actually, there was one more little step. I drilled a small hole into the front of my coil and inserted the indicator lens. Ok, that was all there was to it. Maybe 30 minutes at most."

If you have an A-Coil, either position (above or below) is acceptable, but I prefer above the "A". If a Slab I would put it on the return side. With UV lights, you do need to watch that the light does not shine on coated wires, as it will deteriorate the coating. Also, some older drain pans can also be effected by UV as well. If you do have these exposures, simply covering these areas with silver tape will take care of the issue.

Good Luck
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #6

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
It took me longer to find my tools than it did to mount. Maybe 30 minutes total. Here is a simple paragraph from my site that explained my install process. I would post the link, but can't as it would be self promotion.

"First I cut the power to my system. I removed the access panel of my air handler and located the 24 volt transformer. Next I wired the two power wires from the Blue-Tube power pack to the 24 Volt transformer. I decided on the best location for the light and drilled a 7/8” hole into the case of my evaporator coil. I then inserted the light into the hole, until the magnet set the lamp into place. Next, I attached the Blue-Tube power pack to the side of my air handler, placed the door back on and turned the power back on to the system……TaDa! That was it. Actually, there was one more little step. I drilled a small hole into the front of my coil and inserted the indicator lens. Ok, that was all there was to it. Maybe 30 minutes at most."

If you have an A-Coil, either position (above or below) is acceptable, but I prefer above the "A". If a Slab I would put it on the return side. With UV lights, you do need to watch that the light does not shine on coated wires, as it will deteriorate the coating. Also, some older drain pans can also be effected by UV as well. If you do have these exposures, simply covering these areas with silver tape will take care of the issue.

Good Luck
How much do they sell for and are there install instructions online (esp for the wiring)?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

UV Light for HVAC System

Don't know about this brand ( as there are many) some have /offer a kit if you are installing in duct board as oppose to metal duct
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #8

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
How much do they sell for and are there install instructions online (esp for the wiring)?
Handyman88,

I sent you a PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #9

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
Coil Mounted Lamps:
1 Year lamps run between $159 - $249 depending on options and power requirement.
2 Year Lamps are $259 - $289 depending on power options.

Install instructions are included with each light and we forward the same PDF in advance (but after the sale) so that HO can get prepared.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #10

UV Light for HVAC System

Quote:
Handyman88,

I sent you a PM.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

I did some exploring today and did find the 24V transformer.

What do you mean by "coated wires" and "older pans?" do you mean any electrical wiring inside the air handler that the UV light can reach? I did not see any wiring located near the A coil. It seems to me that I have a delrin/nylon white pan.