Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #1

Share |

UV light in furance

Hi all,

Last one ... We don't have any particular allergies or heath issues (at this time). We do have 2 cats. Sometimes they lay down some wicked stink bombs!.

I read that adding a UV light to the furnace return will help with bacteria and mold and some smells (I guess those from bacteria and mold).

There is a lot of discussion on the web about the effectiveness of these lights. The air is moving too quickly to be properly treated. The rush of air keeps the light cool (and therefore less effective). Only the line of sight air will be treated. Etc.

I have also seem some lights for as little as $100... and it goes up up up. There is one at Canadian Tire on sale now (reg $150 down to $100).

Any thoughts on these? If they are worth it, is there a real difference?

Cheers!
Terry
tls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

UV light in furance

When properly placed above the indoor coil, they can be worth their money. But they should be the dual bulb type. So both sides of the coil are bathed in the light. However, some plastic drain pans age prematurely when exposed to UV light.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

UV light in furance

so you are saying one needs 2 UV units. One before ac coils and one after. Are you implying it is only required during AC season?

What I really need is something to get rid of pet odors. Any suggestions?
tls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

UV light in furance

The good UV lights are dual bulb units. So that when installed above the coil. It bathes both sides of the A of the A coil.

For odors. Just install activated carbon filters.

UV bulbs are often only good for 1 to 2 years. And can cost 50% of what the entire light did.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

UV light in furance

If you want to get rid of odors install an HRV, heat recovery ventilator, Google Lifebreath or Venmar HRV. Those carbon filters are expensive and don't last very long in my experience.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

UV light in furance

For odors I would tell you to look at RGF products.... I have had great luck in nursing homes with the guardian air.