DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Using PVC ducts instead of standard ducts

20K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mdshunk 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience using PVC ducts instead of standard ducts ?
We're putting an addition on the back of the house (kitchen), and since we're opening things up we figured we would run additional ducts through the rest of the first floor for cooling purposes only.
Would you recommend standards ducts , as they would be running through the drop ceiling of the basement.
Thank you,
Bob
New Jersey

#2 ·
As long as the inside of the duct/pipe is smooth, the elbows/turns are properly sealed and smooth, and the inside area of the duct (cross-sectional) is properly sized for your airflow, PVC could work just as well as anything else. Make sure whatever kind you use is okay with the temperature of the air right at the exit of your furnace. And of course, anything in an unconditioned space (crawl space with vents, attic, etc.) should be insulated to prevent condensation.

I'm in the (commercial and high-end residential) business and I have never seen PVC used except in situations where you have a "spot" exhaust (such as needing to pull air from a location near a wall so you run 3" down in the stud space to that spot). But as I said above, as long as you followed basic guidelines, there's no reason why it couldn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.