Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Manual D for a remodel?

Hello - I am finishing my basement in the Chicago area and doing the new ductwork myself. I was wondering how to determine the size and location of the returns. Total finished area is 1200 sq. ft. With one bedroom (110 sq. ft.) and one bathroom (110 sq. ft.). I installed 5 supplies w/ 6" pipe. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom, and three in the main living area. Admittedly...I based the size/location of the supplies on other basements of similar size in my area. I am looking at two returns to install, one in the bedroom ( no undercuts allowed in my area) and one in the main room. Problem is, not sure how to calculate the size? I've read a bit about using manual D, but not sure how I would do this without knowing much about the existing ductwork in the house (lengths, elbows etc...) because it is hidden behind walls. Also, I've read conflicting opinions on whether supplies in a basement should be located near the floor or ceiling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DIY33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,970

Using Manual D for a remodel?

Returns to those rooms must be large enough to remove as much air as the supplies put in.

If your supplies are in the ceiling, then put your returns at floor level.

Its easier to arrange furniture if the supplies are high. They do no good low if they are blocked by furniture.