Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Using insulated fiber board to construct plenum?

I am fighting with a tough install. Just very tight with things in the way. A friend mentioned use of insulated fiber board to construct the entire plenum from scratch. I did not know that would fly but apparently does???

Are there any concerns using this product? Is it pricey or tough to use? I have construction and machinist experience but never worked with this product. I envision something similar to mineral wool sheets with Al backing.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
fabrk8r

It flies by code, but personally I would use metal. I don't like the way duct board tends to fall apart over time.

To me metal is easier to work with, and looks better, but then again I've had a lot of practice.

If you don't feel comfortable making a plenum you can have one made fairly inexpensively at your local sheet metal shop. Just get some accurate dimensions.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 60

And take pics to shown them. Making up sheet metal plenums etc leaves a lot to be imagined for in line drawings. Especially if there is an offset.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

No problem with the design. I design aerospace parts and have a 3D model of the one I need right now. The issue was just that I am sure something will not fit exactly right due to the area it is going and I wanted it insulated anyway to reduce noise so the fiber board was kind of a catch all.

What would a guy spend for one that is say 19x21 at the coil and converging to 14x21 and a height of 3ft? I have talked with a couple locals and indicate a 200 build. Now, I do A LOT of Al sheet metal and if my brake could do this, I would be making it from Al.

I am just spit balling on costs. Obviously that is hard to estimate without the print..

Is that fiber board very expensive? I hear there is a "special" cutter that will cut a 90* notch out where you want to bend. Sounds kind of slickbut never tried it..
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
HVAC / Plumbing

If you have a brake, build it yourself. Are you going to insulate inside or out or both ?
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
fabrk8r

An insulated transition that size would be about $50.00 and take about 15 minutes if I used the plasma table. It would take 3/4 hour if I had to lay it out and cut it by hand...that would be close to $100.00