Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Share |

Used system update

I found a local guy I have emailed that has a split system for 150 bucks. He says it was in a bank 4 months before the bank was bought out or something.

But, he says it is r-22. Would somethign 4 months old have r22? He did say the refrigerant was pumped into the condensor. I would need a line set and a conversion kit to convert from Natural gas to propane. Here is the email:

Hi don sorry for the delay I'm replying. I am in commercial hvac so it has been quite busy. This unit was in service at a bank and apparently after 4 months or so of being in service the did away with the branch or something and they saved the a/c since it was so new. It is a 10 seer split/ w gas furnace 80%. It is a carrier product. To my knowledge it is in working condition. If u r interested I will work something out with you to get this out of my garage. Let me know, thank you

stryped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Used system update

I'd jump on it. It's the installation that's most important. The nameplate on the condensing unit will tell you whether it's R-22. I like Carrier products.

It sounds like you have enough HVAC experience to tell a hack job, so go look at the install and see if it looks like it was done right. If you buy it, before cutting the refrigerant lines, pump the refrigerant back into the condensing unit.

I just saw in his email that it's already in his garage...hopefully it isn't stolen and he didn't dump the refrigerant.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-12-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: hot?
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #3

Used system update

Sounds like a killer deal if the size is right. Yes, R-22 systems are still being sold.

If the guy is in commercial HVAC maybe he'll help you with the installation as a side job.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #4

Used system update

The refriderant was pumped into the condensor. It needs a line set and a conversion kit to propane. How hard for me to install a conversion kit?

He said it came out of a bank. Only thing, I think it is a 2 ton. WOuld this be adeguate for a 30x30 with 10 foot ceiling? Also, right now the only tank I have is one of those tall stand up ones. This unit would be used infrequently. How long do you think the tank would last? I just thought it would be neat more than anythign to have central heat/air in my detached building.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

Used system update

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryped View Post
He said it came out of a bank. Only thing, I think it is a 2 ton. WOuld this be adeguate for a 30x30 with 10 foot ceiling?
Why don't you do a manual J and see how close it comes. I beleive there's an online one time use calculator out there. Just do a search.

It will depend on your climate, the buildings insulation, windows, your comfort requirments, etc, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
fabrk8r

Used system update

Propane conversion is easy, get the kit at Johnstone Supply or almost any appliance parts supplier.

2 Ton for 900/sq. ft. is probably overkill, but would get it nice and cool fast, as long as you aren't too concerned about removing alot of humidity.

How many BTU's is the furnace? Where are you located? In my locality a 150 lb. tank of propane would heat my 720/sq. ft. 2-stall detached garage all winter if I used it only on weekends (R-13 in walls and above 8'ceiling, all 1/2" drywall and insulated garage doors).
Old 08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #7

Used system update

I live near the Kentucky/Tennessee boarder. It is actually a 2.5 ton, 80% furnace. Dont know the BTU';s. I also learned it is about 2 hours away. Is this a steal of a deal?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
fabrk8r

Used system update

I'd look at it first, it sounds too good to be true...so proceed with caution.

Most HVAC contractors would probably be able to sell a system like that for more money even though it is used.

Might be hotter than a $2 pistol.

Another scenario is that he didn't get payed for the job and just went and ripped it out = stolen.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #9

Used system update

He attached a picture. He said it was at a bank. He says it is 4 years old but only used for 4 months?

I can send a picture to someone if they want to look at it. He says he is really wanting to get it out of his garage.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #10

Used system update

Quote:
He attached a picture. He said it was at a bank. He says it is 4 years old but only used for 4 months?

I can send a picture to someone if they want to look at it. He says he is really wanting to get it out of his garage.
Just post the picture here.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
fabrk8r

Used system update

Quote:
He says it is 4 years old but only used for 4 months?
That's what makes me think it may be a repo. Which is okay, if everything was on the up & up.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #12

Used system update

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
Just post the picture here.
How do I do that?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #13

Used system update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
I'd jump on it. It's the installation that's most important. The nameplate on the condensing unit will tell you whether it's R-22. I like Carrier products.

It sounds like you have enough HVAC experience to tell a hack job, so go look at the install and see if it looks like it was done right. If you buy it, before cutting the refrigerant lines, pump the refrigerant back into the condensing unit.

I just saw in his email that it's already in his garage...hopefully it isn't stolen and he didn't dump the refrigerant.

Here is the picture. One other thing I just thought of, I would have to make a vent in my metal rough that would not leak. WOuld this be hard?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Used system update

RED FLAG. RED FLAG. RED FLAG.

Its WAY older then 4 months. 10 SEER units haven't been made since 2005.

If "they" saved the unit. He wouldn't have it in "his" garage. And you would be dealing with the bank.

Sounds like a unit that he pulled in the hopes of selling to someone. And he is putting a bit of glamor on the unit, to sell it faster.

Ask him to send you the model and serial numbers. You can check the age of it if you know the serial number.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #15

Used system update

He later told me it is 4 years old but only used 4 months?