Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Used system

I am thinkign about buying a used system on craigslist for a detached metal garage I have that is 30x30. I live out in the country.

I have a mobile refridgeration card where I can buy r-12 but not sure if it would allow me to buy anythign else.

I assume most used units are r-22? I really dont want to spend a ton of money as this unit will only be used ocassionally. I assume a used split system taken out of service would have to be recharged. I can solder the lines, vacuum, etc...

stryped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Used system

It wouldn't have to be recharged if the unit is removed correctly by pumping the refrigerant into the condensing unit and closing off the service valves before disconnecting the refrigerant lines.

If you aren't sure how to do this correctly I suggest calling a pro because someone could get seriously hurt, not to mention possibly losing a couple hundred dollars worth of refrigerant to the atmosphere.

As far as what type of refrigerant is in the system there should be a tag on the condensing unit. It will either be R-22 or R-410A.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Used system

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryped View Post
I am thinkign about buying a used system on craigslist for a detached metal garage I have that is 30x30. I live out in the country.

I have a mobile refridgeration card where I can buy r-12 but not sure if it would allow me to buy anythign else.

I assume most used units are r-22? I really dont want to spend a ton of money as this unit will only be used ocassionally. I assume a used split system taken out of service would have to be recharged. I can solder the lines, vacuum, etc...
What's your budget? I'd be leary of buying a used system unless it was a late model and still sealed to the atmosphere.

Have you considered buying an packaged A/C unit online. 2T should be more then adequate and all you need to do is wire it up and provide an air distribution system.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Used system

I had thought of that but with a package unit was not sure how to do the ductwork since it is a metal sided building.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Used system

Depending on the age of the used system and how it was performing, I wouldn't be afraid to recycle it. Especially if the price is right!

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-10-2010 at 02:01 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

Used system

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Depending on the age of the used system and how it was performing, I wouldn't be afraid to recycle it. Especially if the price is right!
What should I look for in a used system? Can r-22 still be bought? How much charge do they typically take?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Used system

Yes R22 is still around and not very expensive. Systems hold anywhere from 4 to 12 pounds depending on the size .
Budy of mine bought a system on craigs list for his daughters house. Was supposed to be 2 years old but the serial number said it was 10. I put it in for him and the compressor craped out within 24 hours. Got him another used one for free and it's still going strong. You just never know with used equiptment if it's a good deal or not untill after it's hooked up and running.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

Used system

Quote:
What should I look for in a used system?
Good question.

I'd want to see sealed caps on the refrigerant lines, no signs of oil, fairly clean coils, no rust, late date code and give the fan a spin and make sure the bearings feel good and the blade isn't wobbly.

I'd also look for system that uses generic vs. proprietary components.

You could also ohm out the compressor.

Other then that just ask lots of questions as to why the system was removed from operation. Try and find out if that model was a problematic system.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Used system

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
Have you considered buying an packaged A/C unit online. 2T should be more then adequate and all you need to do is wire it up and provide an air distribution system.
30X30 metal building. Might need 3 tons or more. Depending on weather it has garage doors that are sealed or not. And how much insulation it has, or doesn't have. And the OPs location.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Used system

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
30X30 metal building. Might need 3 tons or more. Depending on weather it has garage doors that are sealed or not. And how much insulation it has, or doesn't have. And the OPs location.
Agreed! My main point is that a packaged unit means all he has to do is worry about the air distribution system and electrical service.

No need to worry about refrigerants, line sets, vacuum, brazing, EPA certs, risk of a used system, etc, etc.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

Used system

r-13 in walls, r 30 in ceiling. I am putting foam panels of insulation on the overhead door. No windows. Concrete floor.

If I used a package unit it would have to run up to the attic. ANy wal I could make thi smyself and make it look ok? I have 2x4 walls. I can do the electric myself no problem. The only thing I can think of is to build somethign for insulated duct to run through on the outside of the building up the outside wall into the attic area.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #12

Used system

Quote:
r-13 in walls, r 30 in ceiling. I am putting foam panels of insulation on the overhead door. No windows. Concrete floor.

If I used a package unit it would have to run up to the attic. ANy wal I could make thi smyself and make it look ok? I have 2x4 walls. I can do the electric myself no problem. The only thing I can think of is to build somethign for insulated duct to run through on the outside of the building up the outside wall into the attic area.
Maybe I'm missing something, but you're going to need to build an air distribution system whether you use a packaged or split HVAC system?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Used system

Some people build a chase over the duct when they use a package unit and run the duct to the attic.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote